Drumset

Ricky Chao

• Members

Hey people of Harmony Central!

This may sound like a weird/crazy/absurd thing, but hey! this is the DIY forum, so what the heck!

Anyways, has anybody built their own drumset and has taken pictures of their step by step process? it'd be cool to see how they're made for many reasons. In the back of my mind, I'm saying I want to build one in the future; but I know everybody will think and say that I'm some insane psycho, probably am. I'm guessing that building one is just finding good tone wood and extremelyy precise and careful side-bending?? If anyone has anything to help out, that'd be awesome! thnx!!

• Members

I knew a guy who built a kit, I think he built up the rims by bending one layer into a form, then using thinner layers around it to build it up. Bending a think piece of wood would be difficult without laminating.

• Members

there have also been websites about kids homemade drums, and they might be a cheap way to start.

they used the sonotube concrete forms you find at lowe's and such for post footings. then use a embroidery hoop on the inside for strength. i think for a head material some have used dacron which is the stuff for model airplanes and it heat shrinks. they wouldn't be adjustable, but it might be a cheap place to start. you could use a big radiator hose clamp on the outside to keep the head taut.

Archived