anybody care to walk me through an SG setup?

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

How exactly do I get at the truss rod? is it the little plate right below the fretboard and above the neck pup? Its a '61 Reissue Epi Elitist which has a short neck tenon if that helps... Neck tenon is just another word for truss rod right?

I'd appreciate the help, I am going back into the studio soon, and I had a bit of a rough time last time because somehow the action got all out of wack... I tried to get the same gauge strings but I think I jumped up a gauge on accident, I do like the tone of them tho, and would just like to get it back to being comfortable

also, please explain as if you are talking to an idiot... I have never done anything other than string changes on a guitar, and its about time I learn... I would just like some suggestions specific to SG's, pup height, intonation, bridge height, and all that... I appreciate all the help in advance!

• Members

woah. slow down there tiger.

no need to go straight at your truss.

first, well.......................

i'm not quite sure how to tell you without it in front of me:o

did you search google on how to setup a guitar?

this one looks pretty solid.

http://www.icepoint.com/guitar/Setting%20up%20your%20electric%20guitar/

this one more in depth, no pics

http://www.oldcloset.com/setup.htm

other than those, i have 2 suggestions.

get a piece of paper, a pencil, and vaseline.

drop a glob of vasiline on the paper (3 tablespoons?)

and stick the pencil in it and scribble on the paper.mix it around and it should come out with a black gooey substance. put this in the nut slot, and on the saddles (you do this to lube them up, helps keep it in tune and makes for string breakage)

vaseline and graphite are 2 good lubes to mix

:thu:

next, if you've changed strings, you know to break them in right? good. carry on:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by guitarman63mm

woah. slow down there tiger.

no need to go straight at your truss.

first, well.......................

i'm not quite sure how to tell you without it in front of me:o

did you search google on how to setup a guitar?

this one looks pretty solid.

http://www.icepoint.com/guitar/Setting%20up%20your%20electric%20guitar/

this one more in depth, no pics

http://www.oldcloset.com/setup.htm

other than those, i have 2 suggestions.

get a piece of paper, a pencil, and vaseline.

drop a glob of vasiline on the paper (3 tablespoons?)

and stick the pencil in it and scribble on the paper.mix it around and it should come out with a black gooey substance. put this in the nut slot, and on the saddles (you do this to lube them up, helps keep it in tune and makes for string breakage)

vaseline and graphite are 2 good lubes to mix

:thu:

next, if you've changed strings, you know to break them in right? good. carry on:wave:

to be honest, I wasn't quite sure what to google, so I thought I'd try here first... thanks for the help, I'll hit google up when I get home

• Members

this is what i do. I adjust the bridge/truss rod so that the strings are to my liking. Now, dont go screwing with the truss rod if your a newb. You really only need to screw with that if your making large string size changes. And when you do, your only doing quater of a turn, IF that.

ANyways, get em the height/feel you want by adjusting the bridge height.. Then get a GOOD tuner, and a tiny flathead screw driver. Pluck the open string, 12th fret harmonic, and the 12th fret. They should all be the same. But they wont be. SO you adjust the string on the bridge with the flathead to make the note the same.

THis is CRUCIAL. If you dont, guitar goes outta tune faster than you can play down the neck.

Usually once you get it, and you keep using the same type of strings your fine. I know occasionally i hafta tweak mine abit when the weather breaks from winter/summer.

That, more or less, is how you setup a guitar. Its very frustrating at first. Also make sure your not getting any interfearance in the signal. Ive foudnd its best to use both pickups when i do this for my SG.

After youve learned to do it about a half a dozen times on different guitars it gets easy. Til someone hands you a spring tremolo..ugh..

good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by MadSkillzMan

Thanks man, seriously... now I gotta clarify tho, you are talking about the little piece the string goes over on the bridge? the string saddles? I'm gonna push those forward and back until the intonation is there? or do you mean the bridge itself?

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

Thanks man, seriously... now I gotta clarify tho, you are talking about the little piece the string goes over on the bridge? the string saddles? I'm gonna push those forward and back until the intonation is there? or do you mean the bridge itself?

the tailpiece is the bar like crome thing at the end of the guitar. you know, where you put the strings in.

the string saddles are what he's talking about. the little screws change the total distance from the nut to the saddles. to intonate them, you turn them to change it.

he has his way (probably better than mine, but i'm just playing at home)

i tune up the string, (say, low e) and then i fret the a (5th fret) and screw the screws in or out until that 5th fret is a perfect A (string above e obviously).

i continue like that, making the correct adjustment for the g &b string combo.

that's my way of doing it:o

• Members

Originally posted by guitarman63mm

the tailpiece is the bar like crome thing at the end of the guitar. you know, where you put the strings in.

the string saddles are what he's talking about. the little screws change the total distance from the nut to the saddles. to intonate them, you turn them to change it.

he has his way (probably better than mine, but i'm just playing at home)

i tune up the string, (say, low e) and then i fret the a (5th fret) and screw the screws in or out until that 5th fret is a perfect A (string above e obviously).

i continue like that, making the correct adjustment for the g &b string combo.

that's my way of doing it:o

Yeah, I know what the tail piece is, I was just asking which particular part of it he was talkin about... but now I understand, I didn't have a guitar in front of me, so I forgot that there are screws on the back of the actual tailpiece that move the saddle pieces... thanks man, much appreciated... I'll get tuner out and check it out immediately

Archived