Distortion blend control??

Pengrin

• Members

Hey guys. I'm wanting to try adding a blend control for using my distortion pedals with my bass guitar. Is there an easy mod I could play around with? I want to be able to blend in distortion with a dry signal if you know what I mean.

Has anyone got a schematic for a blend circuit that would achieve this.

Is it as simple as having a pot that has the centre pin to the output jack and the other two pins are the uneffected signal and the effected signal? ie you literally just blend between the signals?

I'm struggling today since I've been up late watching the world cup, so bear with my dumb questions. I've searched for a blend schematic but can't find one.

Any help would be appreciated. :bor:

• Members

Yup should be as simple as that.

However, if your using a true bypass pedal (dpdt or 3pdt) I would attach the uneffected lug of your blend pot to the board input, not to the input jack. So that when you bypass, you bypass the pot as well. If you use other effects on bass, they it could be a good idea to just build a truebypass loop with a blend, as most bass effects sound better blended with clean.

• Members

Sweet thanks mate. Just wanted someone to assure me that is was as simple as I thought. Damn this World Cup for making me stay up all night watching games!!!

I like the idea of a looper with blend, I guess its really like an effects loop in an amp. Good idea mate!! I'll work on that.

I have no idea what size pot would work best. I might just have to experiment. I guess I need a large enough pot to get either almost fully wet or fully dry sounds but not too large as to lose volume when balancing in between.

I will have fun playing with this!! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Pengrin

I have no idea what size pot would work best.

I'd suggest at either 250k or 500k. Any smaller and you risk setting up a feedback loop around the pedal, which can lead to howling.

Also consider that you may need a phse-flipping circuit - many pedals flip the phase as the signal goes through, and when you mix that with the dry signal you get serious volume loss and a thin sound.

• Members

Thanks for the help. I think I'll try something with one pedal first, see if I like the results, then I'll try a looper.

I appreciate the advice. I'll hopefully be able to avoid the problem with phase inversion. At least I know what could happen, thanks dot dot dot ... .

I'll post a followup in a week or so when I have got something going.

• Members

Originally posted by Pengrin

I'll hopefully be able to avoid the problem with phase inversion. At least I know what could happen, thanks dot dot dot ... .

It seems to be pretty random which pedals do and which don't. I'd just leave space for a toggle switch and a small PCB, and if it sounds thin without then bung one in - not a complicated circuit at all.

Archived