PEAVEY RENO acoustic/electric amp. Old one Value??

polarnewfie

• Members

Pretty new guitarist here. Playing a total of maybe 4 months. (I have played drums for 28 years). Anyhow, I picked up a nice Ibanez jumbo elec/acoustic and was beginning my search for an amp. Anyhow, I stumbled across an old amp at a garage sale for 50 bucks and picked it up. I don`t know much about these. Its a PEAVEY RENO 400 with a 15" speaker and 2 horns up top. Its billed as an "Acoustic/electric Amp" and has 210 watts power out. Its in decent shape(a good cleaning will help alot), and the old guy that sold it to me said he used to be a "hired gun" musician and played with a lot of travelling musicians to support their act. Anyhow, he left me to browse and went inside. His daughter that was helping with the garage sale said that his cancer was back and he didn't have more than 4 months. So he was selling everything. (he had a fortune in gold pocket watches and silver dollars there too, but I was strapped for any more cash. ) Anyhow, he came back out with a picture of him and HANK SNOW posing on stage together. The amp is plugged into Hanks guitar. He said Hank showed up with only a guitar, and everything else was supposed to be provided. So he let Hank use his amp. (and again 15 months later). Both concerts were at the Edmonton Alberta Jubilee auditorium. Anyhow, I thought that was pretty neat, if only a minor bit of interesting history. Does anyone have any idea what these amps cost when they were new??? How much does a decent used one go for these days? I just wondered if it was worth the 50 bucks. It works fine. Just REALLY dusty and dirty as it was stored in his basement since 85 or so. Thanks for any info

Kearney

• Members

Sorry, was a little drunk when I posted. But, it sounds pretty good. I had to clean one of the pots as it was a little dirty and crackly. I'm impressed with how loud this thing is.

I tried singing and playing my guitar through it and it was surely worth the 50 bucks. Plus it was played by Hank Snow, so thats ok too. (we are both Canadian)

• 10 years later...
  • Members

Bought one from a friend for $100.00 about 2 years ago. Play a Gibson with a Fishman pickup and the unit sounds great! Way more horsepower than an old man needs but have not played a gig yet where it fell short. Very clean sound. Only drawback is the weight-65lbs. Need a much younger 'roadie' to haul it in and out for me!

Archived