Still loving the Mesa Roadster

david@legendarytones.com

• Members

I keep waiting to move away from this amp to try/play something else, but it continues to impress and amaze me unlike any other amp or Boogie I've owned (various other Marks and Rectos among others throughout the years).

I did make one fairly dramatic change - a move to G12K 100 speakers rather than Vintage 30s. This gives me a bit more of a Marshall-like quality on the gain channels while the cleans have a nicer top end and Fender-like tone.

I wrote up quite the story a couple months ago on my site about the years of Boogie experiences and called it "My Mesa/Boogie Love/Hate Story..." that goes through the years and tones.

But I was prompted to post this as my drummer just sent us a mix of a new original song we just recorded. Not only was I thrilled with the Roadster in both rehearsal settings with the band or at lower at-home practice settings, but....now I'm amazed at the recorded guitar tones I got from the amp as well!

Anyhow, it's a good Sunday a.m. here :)

• Members
I keep waiting to move away from this amp to try/play something else, but it continues to impress and amaze me unlike any other amp or Boogie I've owned (various other Marks and Rectos among others throughout the years).

I did make one fairly dramatic change - a move to G12K 100 speakers rather than Vintage 30s. This gives me a bit more of a Marshall-like quality on the gain channels while the cleans have a nicer top end and Fender-like tone.

I wrote up quite the story a couple months ago on my site about the years of Boogie experiences and called it "My Mesa/Boogie Love/Hate Story..." that goes through the years and tones.

But I was prompted to post this as my drummer just sent us a mix of a new original song we just recorded. Not only was I thrilled with the Roadster in both rehearsal settings with the band or at lower at-home practice settings, but....now I'm amazed at the recorded guitar tones I got from the amp as well!

Anyhow, it's a good Sunday a.m. here
:)

I think g12k100s might be the best sounding speakers made. At least for the type of tones I go for.

• Members

clips man

Well, I don't have the new song yet to share on .MP3 format, but I did do a video where I'm demoing a Charvel and I used the Roadster (Ch 3) with the G12K 100s to demo it and it gets an awesome higher gain tone. Even using the basic video cam mic, I think it comes through nice.

The vid is embedded at the link here (you can skip the first 1:00 minute if you'd like which is just talk about the Charvel).

http://www.legendarytones.com/CharvelSoCal.html

• Members
I feel this way about my Mark IV... the happiness never ends
:)

+1

I haven't found an amp that can hang with the Mark IV for the music that I play. I tend to play Thrash Metal, and even when I back off and start playing Blues Leads, The Mark has a "fluidity" that I haven' found in any other amp.

Now I am debating whether I should pick up another Mark IV (to have as a backup), or if I should spring for the Mark V.

IMO, I found the Roadster to be dark compared to other "Recto-style" amps (I always thought the Rectos could use more treble response). I can definately see where a Roadster has it's place, but for the most part, they seem to be loved by players looking for the elusive "KSE" tones.

Archived