Digitech GSP 2101 any love?

maxnew40

• Members

I just won an auction for a digitech GSP 2101 preamp/processor. A band I was in many years ago used to play a lot of shows with another band who's guitarist used one of these these and I always liked his tone back then.

I have really been digging my modded ADA MP-1 that I modded for a more JCM-800 type gain. Now I have been looking at getting more of those older preamps. I would also love to find a rockmaster preamp.

Anybody rock a GSP 2101 back in the day?

Any tips or tricks?

I will be running it into a tube power amp.

Max

• Members

Was my main rig for many years -- got the best results when I ran it into a Mesa 20/20, into a pair of Crate closed back 1x12s loaded w/ V30s.

Replacing the stock Penta 12ax7s improved the tone.

I got great mileage out of my ART X-15 Ultrafoot controller, especially for morphing from clean to gain or rhythm to lead -- set up the CC messages right & you can control like a dozen different parameters in real time! :thu:

I'm about to sell that Ultrafoot -- lemme know if you're interested. :)

But either way, I still think the 2101 is a great piece of kit. Had the most natural tone of any of Digitech's tube preamp/processors, imo. :rawk:

• Members

Pat Metheny has used this for years.

I had heard that he had switched to the Axe-FX, and maybe he has, but in this photo here, from the current PMG tour (which I went to but wasn't very near the front) is the Digitech by the looks. Could be wrong about that.

photo.php?pid=1585813&id=67131033696

EDIT: Facebook being annoying. The fourth photo on that page.

• Members

I will swap out the preamp tubes when I get the thing. I will aslo run it into a peavey classic 60 power amp. It was pretty cheap so I won't be too dissapointed if it isn't right for me.

It seems like a few well known pros have used them in the past though.

Max

• Members

Just to clarify, the 2101 has no modeling capabilities at all. It's a midi-controllable, programmable tube preamp married to an extensive digital effects engine. The preamp section won't let you emulate any particular amps/cabs/etc.

That said, the compression, gain, & eq settings are vastly tweakable, so you can sort of design your owb "emulations," if you wish. Just bear in mind it's not a modeler. :thu:

• Members

i had one for years,from 99 til '08.used it with a mosvalve power amp into 4x12 cab.i thought it was awesome.it did die on me once and had it repaired without hassle.

i only got rid of it cuz it was discontinued and i thought i'd have a hard time getting it repaired if it died on me again.

i honestly regret selling it and continue to scout the bay for any available.i just get scared to pull the trigger for the same reasons .but i think the sounds are great.

• Members

I play stuff from the 60s and 70s in my current band so I don't need modern or super high gain tones.

I use an MP-1 right now and it is also very late 80s sounding but works real well for the the tones I need. I bought two MP-1 units and modded one with the Cathode follower mod and left the other stock.

Max

• Members

I play stuff from the 60s and 70s in my current band so I don't need modern or super high gain tones.

I use an MP-1 right now and it is also very late 80s sounding but works real well for the the tones I need. I bought two MP-1 units and modded one with the Cathode follower mod and left the other stock.

Max

IMO, the MP-1 still sounds better for 60's & 70's vs the, IMO, digital, but cool sounding GSP2101. There's a reason Vernon Reid and Billy Howerdell used it.

• 8 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

maxnew40...…………… I hate digitech but I bet the GSP1101 rocks...…..I say I hate digitech because their pedals stink with only a few exceptions. I have an Artist updated 2101....AND IT'S A DIFFERENT STORY....they also made a badass single rack unit the Kentucky Headhunters supposedly used...called Valve something...…..When I first got my 2101 I played it hours on end...had it since '96! There were only 2 things I didn't like about it. I had to tweak many parameters to calm the noise as it uses so many paths for each chain. And, it has a global EQ to go with the parametrics….BUTT.....the global EQ affects ALL presets including user presets, so; 1) if you set it for one you set it for all; 2) if you don't write down your changes to the global EQ.....when you UNPLUG the rack YOU LOSE the settings for the global EQ. 3) the global EQ cannot be used as part of a chain. BUT I HAVE ALWAYS enjoyed this processor. Only had 2 REPAIR issues with it. The first was the volume pot. It is connected to a micro ID cable by solder, I had to have someone replace it when it went bad. And now, when I am playing it, it must lose power for an instant because it will suddenly and without warning go to preset 1. It has also said on the readout "unknown analog parameter" while trying to scroll through the presets. So I am guessing I will have to have that knob replaced. I DO have other effects processors to compare to as well. I do like the processor include with the DR880. You can do a lot with it for drums, bass and / or guitar. I can even hold my guitar close to it and it will give awesome controllable feedback / harmonics....lol....There is also a simple processor with the DR5 I have from ages ago....nothing there though. I also have an ME80....was going to get rid of it because it sound like doodoo no matter what I doodoo...then I got a Marshall CODE50...another laugh, right......I used the headphone out into the auxiliary input of the CODE...….blew my ass away!!!!! Ohhh...the 2101...be careful with the EQ section of some of the presets. Avoid the 4K range and go for 8 or 10K (may be different for you, and I am biology grad) but something about it if you are practicing a lot through headphones...…..seems the WRONG frequency can drill through teeth quicker than the dentist or Werther's Original...…...but enjoy that trashy preamp...…..IT'S AWESOME!

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I have the GSP 2101 Artist, and I LOVE IT.  I don't perform, so it's just for playing guitar in my home...but the sounds I get from this are AMAZING, even through the little 8" speaker cab.  I've received compliments on my "tone" on every video I've submitted.  This is an 80's metal players dream!  From Queensryche to Priest, RATT to VH...its NAILS it!!   If I were performing I'd switch to something like the AXE-FX or Kemper Profiler since I'd want factory support...but for a toy, this thing is the CAT'S ASS!!  Its gonna break my heart if it dies.  The foot controller has already started to malfunction.  Hopefully I can make the unit last the rest of my life. The only thing I wish is that I would have upgraded it to the PPC-210 chip when I had the chance.  I thought about purchasing a second 2101 off eBay for spare parts...but I'd have no idea who I could even take it to perform the repairs.  Guess if it dies I'll invest in something else.

Photo of my "vintage" rig.

GSP2101.jpg

Archived