Need a PRS Replacement Switch (5way rotary)

DiSiAC

• Members

I finally decided it is time to rebuild the Acrylic Mockingbird. More details on that will be posted in the propper forums for guitars but for now, I need to know where to find a 5way rotary switch like they have on PRSs. I have found a bunch on ebay and random parts websites but I don't know if they are the right ones. Any of you DIY experts got any light to shine on the subject? Thank you.

• Members

My suggestion....don't use one! I have a PRS and hate the rotary switch. It looks nice but it really isn't very user friendly. Makes it really hard to change pickups in the middle of a song, etc. With a regular toggle you can just slap it in another position. You have to actually grab a hold of a rotary and turn it to the desired position -- a lot harder to do in a live situation.

Of course, that's only my opinion. They do look nice and I'm sure in time I will get used to it. Just wanted to give you my view on the rotary switch.

Good luck with the rebuild! :)

• Members

I love the 5 way rotary on the PRS and I find it a lot easier than a push/pull coil tap 3 way switch. Once you get used to it you're only ever 2 clicks away from what you want.

You can buy the rotary switch at any PRS dealer (they'll be about 35% cheaper than the PRS website store).

You can get a price quote from here for the new and old style rotary switches.

http://gtrheaven.com/accessories/parts_PRS.asp?ar=1&m=PART-PRS&t=PRS+Guitar+Parts+and+Accessories

Archived