Cab Wattage?

Tubes In a Hat

• Members

What's the deal with this then? I use a 50 watt cab with my 45 watt head and I've never had a problem, but I've never cranked the amp past 1 o'clock

I'm thinking I want some type of 2x12 with open back/closed back convertibility.

My second question is if I use a 65 watt speaker and an 80 watt speaker together, they'll add up to 130 watts total right?

• Members

What's the deal with this then? I use a 50 watt cab with my 45 watt head and I've never had a problem, but I've never cranked the amp past 1 o'clock

I'm thinking I want some type of 2x12 with open back/closed back convertibility.

My second question is if I use a 65 watt speaker and an 80 watt speaker together, they'll add up to 130 watts total right?

I've been using a 100w cab with a 100w head... it's not a big deal provided you're not cranking it.

130 is correct.

• Members

The other guitar player blew a speaker in his 120 watt cab (2 G12h30 x 2 v30) using my 120 watt 6505 with the volume on 6

That's what I'm afraid of. A 120 watt head cranking out an average of 120 watts of power can very easily have peaks of well over 120 watts which can make a 120 watt cab feel very uncomfortable as he just found out.

Archived