Drummer looking for an Amp

horymague

• Members

Hey guys and the odd gal,

I'm hoping to find some honest advice! The most brutally honest forum out of where I've read is right here at good ol' HC. So here goes.

I've been a drummer since 1992. Along the way I've picked up guitar and recording skills. These days I'm playing guitar in a band with a loaned SS fender. I'd really like to buy a nice tube amp, but the stores near me mostly offer beat up, worn tubes, crap. I can't find a place to audition a fine example of any giving amp. I've owned a cool 1960's Dano amp that rocked like the first sabbath alum. But it died a slow death and my nearset amp tech handed it back to me in worse condition than I brought it in.

So I ask thee, what are some recommendations for an amp I can push (no 100 watters). I love those glassy harmonic cleans with a tiny bit of grit. Not afraid to use pedals for extra push. At the moment my only ax is a very nice early 90's Samick 335 copy. I LOVE cleans with that 3D tube sound. But I like to get heavy on par with sabbath also.

So far I've been looking at-

early Crate v30 with tone tubby

Egnater tweaker - (trying to resist because of gig volume)

Traynor YCV-YCS

Anyone feel like giving some advice? It would need to rehearse and gig under $500. I have a Crate BV4x12 @ the moment for any heads.

Archived