Recording/Live question (AXE-FX ULTRA)

poisonherwell

• Members

Tried using the search function and couldn't get a definitive answer. Axe-fx Ultra owners, generally when you're recording do you use the 1/4 analog outputs or the digital S/PDIF outputs? Is there a major difference in sound quality between the two? If I intended to use the digital outs, would using a Focusrite Saffire into a Mac Lap top, using Logic be sufficient?

Lets say I intended to use the unit live, is it possible to have on output running straight into the PA (using cab simulators) and another going into a Atomic FR active cab, with the cab simulator for that output disengaged?

• Members

Tried using the search function and couldn't get a definitive answer. Axe-fx Ultra owners, generally when you're recording do you use the 1/4 analog outputs or the digital S/PDIF outputs? Is there a major difference in sound quality between the two? If I intended to use the digital outs, would using a Focusrite Saffire into a Mac Lap top, using Logic be sufficient?

Lets say I intended to use the unit live, is it possible to have on output running straight into the PA (using cab simulators) and another going into a Atomic FR active cab, with the cab simulator for that output disengaged?

I use the Bal out's for recording...sounds great.

Why would you not want the cab sims on for the Atomic FRFR? However ya, you can put an FX loop block before the Cab block so that output 2 would not have the cab sim. No cab sims to the FRFR Atomic is not going to sound pretty. Out 2 without cab sims to a regular poweramp and guitar cab...sounds great.

Mark

• Members

I use the Bal out's for recording...sounds great.

Why would you not want the cab sims on for the Atomic FRFR? However ya, you can put an FX loop block before the Cab block so that output 2 would not have the cab sim. No cab sims to the FRFR Atomic is not going to sound pretty. Out 2 without cab sims to a regular poweramp and guitar cab...sounds great.

Mark

Right, gotcha. I thought you wouldn't want a cab simulator with the Atomic, since it is a cab. So an XLR mic cable straight into the interface, is your preferred method, I'll try that, once I get the unit.

How does the the FRFR Atomic sound on its own, compared to general power-amp/cab set-ups?

• Members

Right, gotcha. I thought you wouldn't want a cab simulator with the Atomic, since it is a cab. So an XLR mic cable straight into the interface, is your preferred method, I'll try that, once I get the unit.

How does the the FRFR Atomic sound on its own, compared to general power-amp/cab set-ups?

FRFR sounds more like a well miked cab through studio monitors.

Mark

Archived