Neck angle question for TOM bridge

voneville

• Members

Is there a forumula for figuring out neck angle? I imagine there's got to be.

I'm in the design/planning stage of my first build and am thinking about a bigsby with a roller TOM bridge. The body will be routed for pickups. Body style will be flat top solidbody with a set neck like a LP Jr/special.

• Members

there is no "formula" that I am aware of, however, these allplay into the picture:

scale length

height of fretboard off the body face

height of bridge

whether or not the top is flat or carved (actually, its the height difference from the neck pocket to the place where the bridge sits)

Its very easy to lay it out on paper rather than try and work out the math. Just lay out the bridge position, and how high the fretboard will be off the face of the body at the neck heel. then adjust the angle so when you draw a line from the nut to the bridge saddles, its parallel with the fretboard.

Its easy to make fine adjustments while you are carving the pocket or the tennon, and you can lay a straight edge on the fretboard (make sure and space it off the board at least the thickness of the fretwire) and see where it will hit the bridge.

Easier to do than talk about IMO...

Hope that helps some.

AJC

• Members

Originally posted by ajcoholic

there is no "formula" that I am aware of, however, these allplay into the picture:

scale length

height of fretboard off the body face

height of bridge

whether or not the top is flat or carved (actually, its the height difference from the neck pocket to the place where the bridge sits)

Its very easy to lay it out on paper rather than try and work out the math. Just lay out the bridge position, and how high the fretboard will be off the face of the body at the neck heel. then adjust the angle so when you draw a line from the nut to the bridge saddles, its parallel with the fretboard.

Its easy to make fine adjustments while you are carving the pocket or the tennon, and you can lay a straight edge on the fretboard (make sure and space it off the board at least the thickness of the fretwire) and see where it will hit the bridge.

Easier to do than talk about IMO...

Hope that helps some.

AJC

Helps a ton! Thanks.

Archived