Laney GH100TI Mods / Updates / Upgrades

MILFboi

• Members

My Laney GH100TI (Tony Iommi sig model) has slowly but surely gotten noisier over time and I guess it's time for a re-tube, a capacitor look-over, and maybe something else.

Anyone here have experience upgrading the power tubes to 6L6 or other worthwhile mods / upgrades for this amp model? I've heard that a change from EL34 to 6L6 (5881) on the GH100 series amps will increase dynamic range or bass response. Other than that, I'd suspect that replacing preamp tunes with a premium brand like GT would only help across the board.

Other than those maintenance type activities, are there any well-known weak links with this amp that can be fixed through modifications? Better capacitors, maybe?

TIA

• Members

The TI is going to have a bit of noise anyway, as all the gain stages are on all the time on that amp.

I agree though, just give it a re-valve and properly biased, caps should be fine (to be honest, I have a 35 year old amp and the caps are still fine).

As far as I know, most people prefer EL34's in Laneys.

I'd get Svetlana EL34's, and whatever combination of 12AX7's you like for the preamp.

• Members

Thanks to everyone so far.

The TI is going to have a bit of noise anyway, as all the gain stages are on all the time on that amp.

Yes, I was aware of this fact for potential noisiness (5 stages of gain permanently engaged) when I bought the GH100TI. It's become noisier somewhat lately. The one thing I haven't done yet is take a stab at re-seating all the valves -- just in case a bit of light corrosion has built up in the pin/socket connections.

I agree though, just give it a re-valve and properly biased, caps should be fine (to be honest, I have a 35 year old amp and the caps are still fine).

That's what I suspected, too, but I wanted to confirm the capacitors weren't a "known" weak link in the GH100TI design. ;)

As far as I know, most people prefer EL34's in Laneys.

I was generally under this impression too, that EL34s was ideal for getting that "British" sound, but, a couple of years ago I had someone claiming that the 6L6 was better for getting the so-called modern rock sound because they had more dynamic range and wide frequency response.

Another thing I've seen on the internet is a modification of the existing preamp section of a GH100TI to a Soldano SLO (Super Lead Overdrive) circuit. Has anyone here done that modification?

Archived