Screw the Axe-Fx, I'm buying a Line 6 HD500...

grwhitefan

• Members

Not seriously, just trying to draw some attention to my thread.

Seriously though.....I've been contemplating (hesitantly) a Axe-Fx....but that damn price just puts me off!!! I want to do some recording this winter....am not currently in a band.

I am hearing great things about the HD500, but feel it hasn't been out long enough to form a good opinion from people's comments. If it's "almost" as good as the Axe-Fx, I may consider buying it......then later upgrading my Spider Valve to a Marshall JVM215c (which I've also been considering).

So many choices!

Opinions???

• Members

My opinion is....trends ebb & flow in this place sumtin' fierce. I bought a Snaxx because it did all the things that I wanted it to do; studio, fx, and live. Figure out your needs and budget and make a choice and don't listen to the winds of change (toans of change???) in this place. If you buy it for the features you will be impressed.

• Members

Great unit! The new HD's sound a lot better than my X3L for sure. IMO all modelers have problems with cab models and that "airy in the room sound" so don't get excited when neither version can get it for you without you having to add some things in your daw.

Is it an AxeFX? that is a silly question. There really is no modeler under $500 going to compete with the Axe FX in terms of what it offers. That said, the improvement in HD sound puts it above a lot of other units. Similar modeling improvements you find in the AxeFX can be had on the HD500. The other HD's are under powered and not as flexible.

If you want 2 amp at a time, cool fx, nice reverb and delays, the 500 can do it. If you want much more control over your sound, an ability to create sounds that don't even exist in real amps, the AxeFX has a lot of that covered. Price is the deciding factor and you should also consider if you want the fancier effects. Those you will pay 3 to 4 times the cost of the HD. You will also have to buy a midi controller! The HD500 is more the all in one and not as decked out feature wise as the snax..

Archived