Mesa Transatlantic does Van Halen! (clip inside)

Dudester

• Members

... and Alice in Chains, and Slither, and a few others!

My band played a gig this weekend, we had a studio come out and run the sound mix into cubase so we can make a demo. I thought it came out pretty killer, and though the mix isn't perfect, the guitar tracked beautifully. So well in fact I thought I'd share.

The setup is my Gibson SG Special Faded (stock), into an SD-1 (boost for solos), into the Mesa Transatlantic. The TA runs to a Mesa 2x12 recto cab with V30s. The TA was on the H1 (Marshall) voicing the entire night, and set to the 5w setting. Mic'd with an SM-57 towards the middle of the cone, pointed towards the dustcap. (Very little thought went into mic placement, just threw it up there. Guess we got lucky!)

Van Halen - Ain't Talking Bout Love

Velvet Revolver - Slither

Alice In Chains - Man in the Box

The mixes are real basic, little to no post-processing. The studio guy is handing us the raw project so we can try to work some magic for a demo. Should be fun!

• Members

guitar on AIC is spot on - nice work. I will be checking out the baby Mesa soon ...

Curious how does it hold up at practice volume ?

Thanks for the compliment!

It holds up really well... at the 25w setting, the sucker is plenty loud. Granted my '79 100w Marshall is louder, but I'm amazed at the fact that the Mesa is more than adequate at all volumes, gain levels, and settings.

My bass player actually prefers it to the Marshall, because it can get a touch thicker than the Marshall.

• Members
Are you the only guitarist in the band? The songs seem to lose a little of their drive when you solo without an audible rhythm guitar but everything sounds really big and full for the most part. Very impressive for one guitarist playing through a 5watt head!
:thu:

Yep, I'm the only guitarist! Thanks for the compliment... I agree - pretty big & full sounding, all things considered. We have considered adding a rhythm track to the final mix during leads, for our "official" demo.

• Members

A thought about muddiness in the mix... there is suspicion that the overall mix suffered from a hollow/empty stage riser. Before the gig, it was noted that stomping on the stage caused some of the mics to feed back. Not sure how you dial that outta the mix.

• Members

Not sure how I feel about this.

I mean your playing and tone were great and I can only imagine how much better this would sound live.

But at the same time I'm kind of pissed that you turned me on to this amp when there is no possible way I could afford it.

So thanks for nuthin'

:mad:

:poke:

:wave:

• Members

[quote name=Dudester;41522575

run the sound mix into cubase so we can make a demo.

The mixes are real basic' date=' little to no post-processing. The studio guy is handing us the raw project so we can try to work some magic for a demo. Should be fun!

I heard it yesterday, I like your playing and the tones are just great. Your guitar tracks are winners against the no-sayers to TA.

BUT: for demo purposes, it's better to re-record the vocals. Or play the songs with half-tone lower.

• Members

I heard it yesterday, I like your playing and the tones are just great. Your guitar tracks are winners against the no-sayers to TA.

BUT: for demo purposes, it's better to re-record the vocals. Or play the songs with half-tone lower.

Thanks. I agree, I don't understand the animosity surrounding this amp, I rank it among the best ever.

I'm with you... our vocalist needs work. We're already a 1/2 step down, and he's still struggling a bit. He needs some training. But I don't think we can rerecord due to bleed-thru from the other mics.

Archived