Safe Transactions over HCAF

nvranka

• Members

I'm selling my fireball, and got a bite from someone with 5 posts, and a join date in mar 2009.

Is there any way to sell to him safely? i need to unload this thing. Didn't know where to ask this, and I trust a large amount of people on this board. I bought the FB from a member of these boards, but he had references and it all worked out smoothly. I wish I had that luxury, but I dont really want to wait around for someone with 10k+ posts and references of good transactions if I dont have to.

I had an issue a while back selling my WoW account ($400) [ya i know..WoW...gay]...where the person paid me via paypal, and once I gave the account info, had the payment reversed by claiming they didnt authorize the transaction or something. They paid with a company paypal i believe, does that make this possible? or can personal users do this as well?

Sure, that situation was an easy fix...just stole my account back. But if this guy pays me, and i ship my amp to him...I dont see an easy way of getting it back if he revereses the charges... (again, can he do this?)

Any tips are appreciated. I never use ebay, so selling it on there isnt much of an option since I dont have any reputation and i doubt anyone will buy it from me without the paypal guarentees. No bites locally on CL, so that isn't working for me either.

• Members

No, not that's just that easy.

You could always ask for a certified check or money order sent via mail, but even those can be counterfeited.

But, all transactions here are based on trust though.

Sure, you could end up selling it to the guy with 50k posts and 100 good transactions, but maybe he got on cocaine hardcore last month and is ready to start his crime career.

• Members

- Get AT LEAST 2 phone numbers from the guy including a work telephone number (if possible) but the more information the better!

- Ask if he has other references?

- Ask to be paid with a Postal money order!

- Get LOTS of bubblewrap and pakcing materials when shipping

...PROFIT!

:idea:

• Members

Thanks for the advice.

People saying "require paypal": I was already planning on using paypal, but if you read what I wrote in OP it seems as though there are ways of reversing payments I was unaware of...should I be worried about that? Any time I've had an issue via paypal they have been entirely unhelpful, and their resolution center is a joke afaic.

• Members

Require paypal, don't use gift option. Profit.

Absolutely this. Do NOT use the gift option, and run everything through PayPal. PayPal has problems, but IMO it's safer than a money order (all the fakes out there). Also, on a big purchase like that, get phone numbers and then actually call the guy...even if just to say "Hey...just wanted you to know that I got it packed and ready to ship."

• Members

You could list the amp on E-bay with a Buy it Now and send dude the link to it. I'd feel a little safer that way.

Oh..that's not a bad idea.

OK guys, well thanks for all the advice, ill make sure to get phone numbers etc.

• Members

... 1 more time

GET A POSTAL MONEY ORDER ({censored} paypal) - AS SOON AS U GET THE POSTAL M.O., (provided its legal) --- GO TO YOUR LOCAL POST OFFICE (not your bank!!) WITH 2 SETS OF I.D. AND U WILL GET YOUR $$$ ON THE SPOT, NO WAITING, NO HASSLES, NO FEE$, 1,2,3 EZ

I use em all the time and this is the ONLY way i use em!!!

:thu:

Again get as much information and telephone/work numbers as well from the guy. Nothing is 100% safe but its safer imo

:idea:

• Members

regarding the postal service money order, and hopefully this hasn't already been asked, can't you wait for it to arrive and then take it in, have it verified as legitimate, and have it cashed out before shipping? Seems logical enough... apologies for any noobness in this regard. I've always used Paypal with only people who have either plenty of good refs. or a solid ebay account.

• Members

uh...USE THE GIFT OPTION if receiving cash. There will be zero recourse to you since it was "a gift". Alternatively, get him to send a wire transfer to your bank account. Zero recourse to you. You don't have to give him any more financial information that isn't already printed on a check. Alternatively, take a money order/cashiers check from a major bank. Listing it on ebay won't do anything to protect you - it'll just waste your money in fees.

• Members

uh...USE THE GIFT OPTION if receiving cash. There will be zero recourse to you since it was "a gift". Alternatively, get him to send a wire transfer to your bank account. Zero recourse to you. You don't have to give him any more financial information that isn't already printed on a check. Alternatively, take a money order/cashiers check from a major bank. Listing it on ebay won't do anything to protect you - it'll just waste your money in fees.

Again, yes it sounds great to have him wire me the money, or take money order/cashiers check for MY SIDE, but I can't imagine someone would be willing to do any of these options...

I know i'm a good guy and will send him the amp, but how can he be sure? If it were me making the purchase, I would never send somoene a cashiers check or wire them money....

• Members

Well Loop i'd much rather deal with youl, as you are reputable. Let me know, i'm not in a "rush" per se

Christmastime is the worst, broseph. I need to spoil my kids and the lady before I think of myself. However, after Christmas, I might be down...I've had my eye on this amp ever since my deal with Killzone fell through. (no fault of his, just circumstances...). PM me some pics.

• Members

Yeah I bought a bass from a n00b on TB sometime last year and got totally ripped. Bass was just thrown in a cardboard box and shipped- no case (as was listed in the FS thread), no wrapping, no nothing. Neck was all dirty and grimy, onboard pre had been damaged as well as all the control knobs during shipping and were DOA. I used PP and got zero recourse because "I received the item, regardless of how it arrived and it wasn't through eBay." So, yeah. G'luck dude. :( ONLY way I'd maybe consider is with a Postal MO. That way you know it's legit if they take and cash it and you can't get docked the amount by your bank if it's a fake CC or MO and you deposit it into your personal account (of which happened to me back in '04 :facepalm:).

• Members

Well Loop i'd much rather deal with youl, as you are reputable. Let me know, i'm not in a "rush" per se

Again, yes it sounds great to have him wire me the money, or take money order/cashiers check for MY SIDE, but I can't imagine someone would be willing to do any of these options...

I know i'm a good guy and will send him the amp, but how can he be sure? If it were me making the purchase, I would never send somoene a cashiers check or wire them money....

If you've got the references to support the "leap of faith" on his part, then why wouldn't he. He obviously has no references.

• Members

If Loop wants the amp, sell it to him. I completely understand being skittish about selling the thing, but you would have nothing to worry about if you sold it to Arend. Problem solved.

• Members

Christmastime is the worst, broseph. I need to spoil my kids and the lady before I think of myself. However, after Christmas, I might be down...I've had my eye on this amp ever since my deal with Killzone fell through. (no fault of his, just circumstances...). PM me some pics.

Sounds good to me. I'll make a note of it. I will try to get some pics to you soon.

I'm unloading my MILLS too, and no one seems to want it at the moment, and i really only need the money if both sell, so i can wait until after the holidays bro.

• Members

Sounds good to me. I'll make a note of it. I will try to get some pics to you soon.

I'm unloading my MILLS too, and no one seems to want it at the moment, and i really only need the money if both sell, so i can wait until after the holidays bro.

The Mills would cost a crapload to ship. :freak:

Archived