Removing hiss from a noisy pedal...

Dr Shifty

• Members

I've got an Ehx worm that I'm rather fond of, it not to noisy with my old Vox amp but is with my new fender...

I'm guessing that the impedance into the Vox is somewhat higher than the fender and its over loading the output stage of the Worm?

How do I fix!?

• Members

Any decent guitar Amp would have an input impedance that is high enough to not load the guitar

or the output of an effects box

A Noise gate does not reduce noise. It only reduces gain to zero when the input signal is lower than a threshold.

Which means that suppose you play the guitar softly and find your audio chain noisy with low level signals, then you will get the same level of noise ( or a bit more) if you stick in the noise gate into the chain.

There could be differences in the frequency response of the two amps. An amp with a limited high end might appear to have less hiss.

Next, what about the tone control settings ? One amp will surely react differently with treble=10 than another with treble = 10. If this is the case, adjust tone controls of new amp to get similar guitar high end and then see if you get same noise.

Archived