OT: Anybody here have a Barnes & Noble Color Nook?

silverfacechamp

• Members

Battery life on those things is 8-10 hours, FML. I have the e-ink Nook, and love it. It pwns the Kindle.

Word. That's kind of what I've been hearing. I have a couple of colleagues that have Nooks and the all LOVE them. I want one, and it seems silly to buy the low end one when the color one is only $50 more, but still, it's $250....

• Members

Word. That's kind of what I've been hearing. I have a couple of colleagues that have Nooks and the all LOVE them. I want one, and it seems silly to buy the low end one when the color one is only $50 more, but still, it's $250....

Dude, Barnes & Noble released that thing to compete with the iPad, which is stupid, IMO...they already entered competition with the Kindle, and they're not going to unseat Apple on the LCD front. I wouldn't go for the color Nook, but if you're in the market for an e-reader, I couldn't recommend the Nook any more highly. I love mine to death...it's fantastic, especially after you get the most recent software update.

• Members

Dude, Barnes & Noble released that thing to compete with the iPad, which is stupid, IMO...they already entered competition with the Kindle, and they're not going to unseat Apple on the LCD front. I wouldn't go for the color Nook, but if you're in the market for an e-reader, I couldn't recommend the Nook any more highly. I love mine to death...it's fantastic, especially after you get the most recent software update.

ORLY? I didn't know that they were trying to compete with the iPad...that seems like a losing battle, especially considering there doesn't seem like a whole lot of wide functionality without jailbreaking/rooting it. How do you like the touch screen? Does it work OK? Any other hiccups?

• Members

ORLY? I didn't know that they were trying to compete with the iPad...that seems like a losing battle, especially considering there doesn't seem like a whole lot of wide functionality without jailbreaking/rooting it. How do you like the touch screen? Does it work OK? Any other hiccups?

Love the touch screen. There were a couple of hiccups here and there, but as long as you make sure that your device is up to snuff on the software updates, the thing is golden. Pages turn VERY fast now, and everything is accessible with the touch screen, including shopping on Barnes and Noble's website for your books. It just take a little bit to get used to how it's laid out, but that's to be expected. I bought the 3G version as I don't have a wireless network at home. However, to update it, you need a wifi network...but I just go to the local Starbucks, and all is well. :thu:

• Members

I got one @ Christmas. Had it rooted within a couple of hours of opening it. :) I'm actually shocked at how much I dig it as an Android tablet. I already had an Android phone so I was like, "this is redundant" but it's actually been pretty awesome in some cases the big screen makes certain things that are pointless on the phone very cool on the nook (eBooks, some news apps like pulse, etc). Comic books on it are friggin' cool, too, if you're a comix fan. Definitely my 2nd favorite Christmas item after the Snax Ultra. ;) Battery seems at least as good as my (rooted with a ULV kernel) Droid.

Being a typical totally superficial American, I have no interest in a non-color eReader.

• Members

I got one @ Christmas. Had it rooted within a couple of hours of opening it.
:)
I'm actually shocked at how much I dig it as an Android tablet. I already had an Android phone so I was like, "this is redundant" but it's actually been pretty awesome in some cases the big screen makes certain things that are pointless on the phone very cool on the nook (eBooks, some news apps like pulse, etc). Comic books on it are friggin' cool, too, if you're a comix fan. Definitely my 2nd favorite Christmas item after the Snax Ultra.
;)
Battery seems at least as good as my (rooted with a ULV kernel) Droid.

Being a typical totally superficial American, I have no interest in a non-color eReader.

Very cool.

So these have some kind of accelerometer/gyro thingy in them to make them motion sensitive, right? How's the tracking on that part?

• Members

Im getting one friday. Its exactly what i need. I want a reader with some extra features. Itll do just what i want. Theyre supposed to release a specialized app store for it this month ive read. VERY EXCITE!

I saw that too....apparently it's a 'curated' store (B&N has to approve apps), but they're claiming that they'll be able to approve and release apps within a couple of weeks from when they get them from the devs....so, even non-rooted Nooks might be pretty sweet.

• Members

Highly agree. I got my nook for Christmas, and I love mine. My only gripe with mine is that it came with a tiny scratch on the metallic border that's around the screen. I am OCD with things like that so I constantly look at that scratch when I am reading.

• Members

Very cool.

So these have some kind of accelerometer/gyro thingy in them to make them motion sensitive, right? How's the tracking on that part?

Yeah, I haven't played many games that need it or done much to exercise the accelerometer seriously. It rotates the screen fine as needed but beyond that I can't speek much to its performance in that regard...

Archived