Mesa Stiletto Deuce II, or Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100???

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

I would go with the Stiletto, hands down over a DSL. If we were talking about a Stiletto VS a 2203, that's a little more difficult. The Stiletto has great cleans, and great Mid/High gain tones. I'm a purist, so if you want the Marshall sound, get a Marshall.

IMHO, the Stage II is the way to go. The Stiletto has more depth than the Marshall, and has a lot of features the Marshall should have, but doesn't.

• Members

I had our singer's EX stiletto trident II for over a week and just could not get a good sound out of it to save my life :(

He ended up dumping it for a bogner alchemist and a port city oversized 2x12 and his tone improved dramatically.

I guess I just don't "get" the stiletto... I don't understand what mesa wanted to do with that amp. It doesn't sound british and the recto blows it to pieces for high gain stuff, the lonestar and electradyne are far superior for cleans, lower gain and crunch stuff so I really don't quite understand what they were trying to accomplish with the stiletto.. It doesn't know what it wants to be. A vintage modern or 2 channel JVM does the whole high gain and medium gain british rock thing much better and the recto kills it for heavier stuff....

I mean... there's an amp for everyone and I get that I just don't see what people like in the stiletto.

IMO, you should have saved up a little more and gotten a used shiva or splawn quickrod or hell, a JCM800 then had the cameron jose mods done to it. A stock JCM800 will whip the Stiletto but a jose'd 800 will pimp slap it into last week.

• Members

A stock JCM800 will whip the Stiletto but a jose'd 800 will pimp slap it into last week.

You can't compare a Stiletto to a JCM800. They are not aiming for that 80's sound in my estimation, but more of a hot rod 59 plexi. And it is sort of that, but not a clone. It has it's own British thang.

Archived