Tube question. realizing-noobness-content

Casey

• Members

so what would you guys do in this situation? I've owned tube amps for years, but due to whoring I've never actually had to change tubes.

My amp uses a quad of 6L6's and I broke one of them last night. Wat do? I pulled the two inner tubes to be able to do band practice and nothing blew up, everything seemed fine.

The issue is I'm stuck with 3 tubes. Can I just buy another one and bias the amp? Do I have to buy a whole new set of matched tubes and keep the other 3 for spares? Recently acquired this amp and the previous owner said he had recently retubed it and never played it above bedroom volumes.

• Members

According to the schematic it has a 100/60W switch which actually removes two power tubes from the circuit. So you'd be just fine running it with two tubes at 60W if that works for you.

Ideally you want all 4 tubes to be matched but it's not absolutely necessary. You could also run two matched pairs and bias the amp to the hottest pair. Replacing one tube is the least desirable option but can be done.

I probably should have been more clear but the reason I asked what the tubes where is that if they have a rating on them and you know who did the rating, you could buy replacement tubes (from the same source) with the same rating and the new tube(s) should match the old ones fairly well.

• Members

According to the schematic it has a 100/60W switch which actually removes two power tubes from the circuit. So you'd be just fine running it with two tubes at 60W if that works for you.

would you be able to tell which two it uses? I'm fine running in 60w mode for now.

• Members

Can't tell for sure without seeing an actual layout or the amp itself, but if the layout matches the schematic it would use the outer two tubes in 60W mode.

To check you could put it in 60W mode, put two good tubes in the middle and leave the two outside slots empty. If it doesn't make any sound then it is as I said above (use the outer slots).

Also, if you have or can find the manual you might want to see if it says anything about adjusting the impedance in 60W mode. To get a "proper" match you would normally set the amp to 4 ohms with an 8 ohm cab but depending on the amp it may not be necessary.

Archived