SO, I'm writing an article...

Rizza

• Members

...for my journalism class. It's on the topic of music distribution and promotion on the Internet.

Basically, I'm interested in hearing some answers from YOU.

IF you/your band are:

a) Signed to a label,

b) Unsigned, but selling your music,

c) Unsigned and giving your music away for free.

My questions are:

What are your thoughts on the relevance of labels today? Are they still needed and necessary?

Your thoughts on piracy; how does it affect you?

For b) and c):

How do you distribute your music? Bandcamp, Myspace or similar?

How do you promote your music? Youtube vids, Facebook, forums like these?

How big of a part do you think Internet word-of-mouth and music blogs plays in getting your music known?

On production: Do you take a DIY-approach to recording the music, or have you used a professional studio?

For c); Why do you distribute your music for free? Do you feel that it's really a choice, or is it a necessity to spread your music? Do you see it as the means to an end; like getting a record deal, or establishing yourself so you can eventually sell it for a price?

If you want to answer some or all of these questions, please post them here or PM me, with your bands/artist name, your own name, your age, perhaps what kind of music you play. It's a bit urgent, so please post as soon as possible.

Any replies much appreciated. :wave:

• Members

We (will be soon) falling under the B.) category, as soon as we get this EP done.

In order;

What are your thoughts on the relevance of labels today? Are they still needed and necessary?

No. IMO, the only real reason you need label-help is for distribution and to spread the band's name and to get you gigs/shows with fellow labelmates who are already "big" or a "national act". And to front the $$ necessary for a pro-level recording. However, if I were making $75-100K a year already I'd be putting out my own additional funds for better recording, gear, promotions, album copies, etc..

Your thoughts on piracy; how does it affect you?

Steal it, give it your friends, etc., and then come to the damn shows!

How do you distribute your music? Bandcamp, Myspace or similar?

Online, and available at shows

How do you promote your music? Youtube vids, Facebook, forums like these?

Myspace, ReverbNation, Facebook, forums, and LOTS of word of mouth from booking agents, promoters, club owners, etc. that we play for

How big of a part do you think Internet word-of-mouth and music blogs plays in getting your music known?

Huge. We've never had to "ask" for a gig since we started in September. We've only been recommended to other venues by promoters/owners/etc and people come out to our shows and see us and book us asap.

Do you take a DIY-approach to recording the music, or have you used a professional studio?

We believe in our music and think we can be a big local band, so we want a recording that reflects that. A "DIY" EP or demo is unlistenable to me if the mixing, tones, timing, mastering, etc. is off even if I like the music. I'd rather listen to a very well polished "meh" band than one that's "good" that has a crappy EP/demo.

Why do you distribute your music for free? Do you feel that it's really a choice, or is it a necessity to spread your music? Do you see it as the means to an end; like getting a record deal, or establishing yourself so you can eventually sell it for a price?

We want to sell our records, but only to fund additional merch like more t-shirt designs, more records, etc.. We have no delusions of "making it". We'd be happy playing 4-6 times a month at the biggest local venues and opening for national acts when they come through town.

Reagan, 29, bassist for Gold Star Revenge, original heavy rock, Houston Texas. :thu:

Again these are all IMO's so no need to get all fussy and panties in a wad arguing wif me,the rest of ya's. :mad:

• Members
If you want to answer some or all of these questions, please post them here or PM me, with your bands/artist name, your own name, your age, perhaps what kind of music you play. It's a bit urgent, so please post as soon as possible.

Any replies much appreciated.
:wave:

Sacha - Divinity, Enditol - Metal

Archived