Is there a way to...

SteveiJobzz

• Members

Boost the mids of a passive pickup without using a battery?

The pickups in my tele are just a HAIR too "flat." Like they're ALMOST there. I love the vintage-y tone. I just need a bit more oomph.

But I don't want the whole 9v battery pcb booster mumbo jumbo.

Otherwise I'll just get a JCA afterburner for a clean boost.

• Members

Cheap TS style boost?

Those have a big mids boost right?

I think someone is selling a bad monkey for cheap in the spam forums, maybe on HCEG?

Or the MXR classic OD that GC has for cheap.

Yea but I'm not really looking to color the tone a whole lot. I have an SPC in my strat and it does what I'm thinking of but the damn battery is huge. If only they made active tone controls that ran off of small batteries like CR2032s.

But that would make too much sense.

• Members

Yea but I'm not really looking to color the tone a whole lot. I have an SPC in my strat and it does what I'm thinking of but the damn battery is huge.
If only they made active tone controls that ran off of small batteries like CR2032s.

But that would make too much sense.

That would be kinda cool.

I'm not sure what an SPC is, but i'm guessing some sort of onboard OD system?

I've been intrigued by some of the GFS onboard mods, but......dammit, I worry enough about being in tune, I don't really want to worry about a 9v too. :lol:

• Members

It's basically just an onboard mid boost. Not necessarily an OD, just a boost.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-SPC-Strat-Presence-Control-Knob?sku=550000

But god help me when I need to change that battery it's going to take a whole damn day to get the pickguard back on.

Ahh, its one of those thingy's like the GFS ones. Just a different brand. Yeah....the whole battery aspect really makes me lose interest. :lol:

One would think they could use one of those smaller batteries, unless they'd suck them dry too fast? :idk:

Weird.

Archived