Need help wiring a 6x12

Soundstorm

• Members

I have a friend of mine getting an unloaded 6x12. We are wondering how to wire it for a 16ohm load.

My guess is series/parallel. Four 8 ohm in series = 32 ohm, then two 16ohm on the bottom in series = 32 ohm load. Wire the two groups in parallel should get a 16ohm load.

Not really sure, and don't want to have to do this twice. Any advice is really appreciated!

• Members

All the ones I've come across are usually wired for 8 ohm where you wire the speakers in two sets of three.

2x16 in parallel in series with an 8 makes 16, all that in parallel with another set makes 8.

What you said will work but I dont know if 4 in series is a good idea :idk:

• Members

Any reason you're gunning for 16ohm? Do you intend running it with a 4x12 too?

One thing to consider is that in either of the presented cases the higher ohms speakers are being pushed twice as hard than the lower ohm speakers.

This can be balanced out a bit by using more efficient speakers in the lower ohm parts if you want to get a uniform SPL out of the cab.

The difference may be greater for the 16 ohm wiring than the 8 ohm wiring.

I think this is right anyway. I'd do some sums but its friday afternoon and I all I want to do now is drink a few beers and play some guitar :lol:

• Members

I've never seen that many in series so I assume there must be a reason for that :lol:

Also with series wiring if a speaker fails then you lose the whole lot and then your load gets shot to hell. That said a speaker failure in any wiring configuration {censored}s the load up anyway...

• Members

Lots of people do four 4 ohmers in series for a 16 ohm load. Steve Morse for example.

The ONLY problem would be if one failed, but this series load is in parallel with the other 2 speakers, so it wouldn't be 100% catastrophic.

I say do it.

There's nothing wrong with four speakers in series.

You could always do 6 8 ohm speakers in a

(3 in series) in parallel with (3 in series) = 12 ohm load, and run the amp at 8 or 16 depending on what sounds better. It would be a totally safe mismatch. :confused:

Archived