Slaving a combo into a 4x12 (ala Nine Inch Nails)

Mikoo69

• Members

I'd like to use a 4x12 on stage in the same way Aaron North from NIN did. He said in an interview:

"I'm slaving a Fender Twin Reverb amp that is not onstage from that cabinet [4x12 cabinet], so I can create feedback onstage with that cab, but not worry about my sound cutting out ever, because the signal that is coming through the PA and monitors is from the mic-ed Fender amp that is out of harms way."

How would I accomplish this? I use a Vintage Fender Deluxe Reverb 1x12 combo live, and love the tone of it through it's internal speaker, and straight to the PA. However, I'd rather keep it off the stage out of harms way and have a 4x12 on stage for creating feedback, and monitoring my rig from the stage.

How do I do this?

• Members

i've tried running an extension cabinet off the DR but this doesn't work well. By splitting the power to other speakers, the sound from the main speaker inside the DR doesn't sound as good. Ideally, I don't want to change the sound coming out of the DR at all, and have that sound also coming out of a 4x12 on stage that I can use for monitoring/getting feedback.

• Members

I have a Z matcher with a Line Out. It goes directly between the amp and the speaker. If I used the line out on the Z-Matcher, into a power amp, into a 4x12, would I have the same tone from the DR (the tone of the preamp, and the overdrive of the power tubes from cranking it) into the 4x12? Would any feedback I get from the 4x12 also come out of the DR internal speaker, and to the PA?

Archived