Anyone work as a commerical pilot?

hvymtl939

• Members

And if so, do you have a college degree? I'm currently a sophomore at the University of Kansas, but I've wanted to be a pilot all of my life. As soon as the summer begins, I'm going to start lessons to work towards my private pilots license, and then move on from there. From what I've gathered online, having a Bachelor's degree doesn't hurt when applying for airline positions (this will be a while in the future). So basically, any and all advice on this will be appreciated.

• Members

Com-mel-ia here.

Unless you get a gig in part 91 or 135, run away. Part 121 is a nightmare.

Vest case scenario is finding a job at a company with your degree whom also has a part 91 flight department.
:cool:

That also sounds pretty good. My Dad works at Spirit/Boeing, and a ton of his friends work at Cessna and Hawker Beechcraft, so I have a lot of connections with all of those companies.

• Members

Also, don't overlook ag flying. My buddy is making quite a bit of money while racking up about 1,000 hours a year. That's A LOT of GREAT experience. You do that for two years, get 2,000 hours in your logbook, options start opening up for you as far as what you can step into.

Srs, ag flying is best route for you. Get into a turbine agcat and rack up turbine time while evey other schlong out there is struggling to fill up the TT row cfi'ing in skyhawks.

• Members

Also, don't overlook ag flying. My buddy is making quite a bit of money while racking up about 1,000 hours a year. That's A LOT of GREAT experience. You do that for two years, get 2,000 hours in your logbook, options start opening up for you as far as what you can step into.

Srs, ag flying is best route for you. Get into a turbine agcat and rack up turbine time while evey other schlong out there is struggling to fill up the TT row cfi'ing in skyhawks.

That's also a great idea! I didn't even really think about that. What it comes down to for me, I love flying, and if I can get paid to do it, that's awesome.

Archived