I want to build a FUZZ this weekend - advice?

tenoken

• Members

Nothing like burning up a whole weekend on a tiny project!

I will go get a stereo jack today. I guess that was my oversite as I do have some stereo jacks but they have 4 lugs. I have mono jacks with 3 lugs, which made me think to use them over the 4-lug stereo jacks. :emb: We'll see what difference the correct jack makes...

Yes there is a ground wire connecting the DC jack and the ground on the jack--just like the Beavis diagram. (In my pic, if you follow the black wire (from battery -), it's the red wire swinging out to the right from the bottom of the DC jack to the lug on the input jack.)

UPDATE:

I installed a 3-lug stereo input jack. Now the LED is acting as it should. Only turning on when cables are inserted.

Every other component was new and is wired correctly. Every single wire going from both cable jacks and the DC jack is correct. I've checked over these a dozen times. A multimeter shows current running to the board, and to all the other places where it should.

The only thing that makes any sense right now is that the transistors could be misoriented. Again these are 2n3904's and they are flat-side facing right on the non-solder side of the board. Just like the schem. Should I reverse them? Aren't 2n3904's universal in their orientation? I'm still learning about these functions and still am not sure what they do.

Thanks to anyone who is trying to help me out here. :thu: This is one of the most frustrating projects I've ever taken on! And it's supposed to be a simple circuit! Dammit.

• Members

Well i cant see the schem and i'm not looking for it but try this.

look on your layout or what ever you got and see the VALUE of the resistor that is closest to the EMMITER of each transistor. the EMMITER is the lead on the left if you are looking at the flat side of the transistor.

now check on the build to see that you have them orientated right.

for example ONLY: if the schem has a 4k7 resistor next to the emmiter does your build have the 4k7 next to the emmiter? if not then its next to the collecter and thus that individual transistor is in backwards. do the same on both transistors.

if they are orientated right then i dont know what else to try man!:cry:

hope you understand what im trying to say cause i aint no shakespear with words.

:wave:

• Members

{censored}, ive just noticed in that pic ALL the resistors are the same value,{censored}, then what i just said aint gonna help in this instance.

but you can take that example further.

just add a capacitor to the equation and

for example:

......01uF........4k7...........emmiter

----| |------///-------| E

...................................| B

...................................| C

so:

--------------------equals a trace, join or wire

----| |------------- equals a capacitor

---////---------- equals a resistor

understand?

:confused::freak::poke:

• Members

| C

so:

--------------------equals a trace, join or wire

----| |------------- equals a capacitor

---////---------- equals a resistor

understand?

:confused::freak:
:poke:

Should I just flip the tranny's then? At this point, nothing else makes any sense.

• Members

I have to question that layout you linked on the first page... it doesn't match any schematics that I can find. 470k is too high for the collector resistors, for starters.

regards, Jack

This link: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/album18/album151/MOSRITE_FUZZRITE_PERFBOARD_001.gif.html

Interesting. Should I try bumping it down? What's a more reasonable value for the collectors? Just glancing at some other fuzz pedal schematics it seems like a 8.2k through a 100k is more likely.

What do you think?

• Members

Installing the 10k resistors didn't change anything.

I notice that now when the guitar is plugged into the effect, the LED flashes in different degrees of brightness when I flip the guitar pickup selector, and makes a loud clicking sound. :freak:

I may have to start ALL over on this.

Archived