250K to act like 25K?

Gorgula

• Members

I'm installing a piezo bridge in my bass which has Bartolini pickups and a Bartolini preamp.

The piezo preamp needs a 250K volume pot and the Bartolini preamp needs a 25K volume pot.

I have been told by several people that I could get a stacked 250K pot and 1/2 of it can be made to "act like 25K" for the Bartolini preamp.

Well I went ahead and got the stacked pot, but now I'm wondering how do I do this? What can I do to make it 25K?

Anyone know how to do this or if it's even possible?

Thanks!

• Moderators

If the Bartolini pot is wired as an output volume control, it probably will not matter if it is 25k or 250k You likely will not be able to hear a bit of difference since most preamps have a very low impedance output that is happy with either of those values.

regards, Jack

• Members

Thanks so much for your replies. I especially liked that potentiometer math calculator. I'd like to try that out and see how a pot actually behaves with the resistors.

I'm with mark7171. A picture would be great. I'm a non-schematic-reading-moron...duh....:freak:

On the other hand I just learned that I can wire the half of the 250K pot that I will use for the magnetics before the Bartolini preamp and all should be well.

Any thoughts on this?

Archived