Ruetz Rat Mod

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

Anybody have experience with these. I was thinking about doing it, because I would like OD/Distortion pedal that doesn't suck the bass out of the bass guitar, and seeing as how I:

1) have a Rat 2, and

2) am too cheap to buy another pedal

I figured that this mod might be what I am lookin for.

I have heard that extending the range of the pedal to not cut the bass out is as easy as putting in a bigger cap, but which one, I have no clue.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Link:

http://www.diyguitaramp.com/rat.html

• Members

I did the Ruetz Rat mod.

I didn't do anything with capacitors. I only put a toggle between one of those resistors, allowing me to switch it "on" and "off." I like the result insofar as it tames the Rat down a bit for lower gain settings. I usually leave it in resistor bypass mode!

:thu:

• Members

I did the Ruetz Rat mod.

I didn't do anything with capacitors. I only put a toggle between one of those resistors, allowing me to switch it "on" and "off." I like the result insofar as it tames the Rat down a bit for lower gain settings. I usually leave it in resistor bypass mode!

:thu:

How does it handle bass?

Have you used it on a bass? Because right now (unmod'ed), it sucks it right out, that is my primary concern.

• Members

I have not run a bass through it since the mod...

I'd definitely suggest doing the mod. Its very easy, and if you put a toggle in there (also very easy) then you can switch it on and off to see if there's a difference for you. If not, no big loss!

• Members

i dont know much ( but i know i love you) i mean about mods. i thought to add more bass into pedal a you had to change the input cap. shouldn't be to hard to trace

Not true. Most of the time OD mods that alter the low frequencies are in the negative feedback loop and it will be a resistor/capacitor working together to make a high pass filter. Changing either one will alter the bass. As soon as you cut the resistor in that mod you lower the rolloff frequency of the pedal to 60.5 Hz. Use this calculator to see how the resistor value will alter the filter: http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm

After cutting out the 47 ohm resistor all you're working with is a 560 ohm resistor and a 4.7uf cap.

Archived