Pedal Graphics: What works for you?

thedash

• Members

I created this grunge etched Zakk Wylde pedal. I stripped the paint and reproduced the original graphic by etching it.

zakkwyldepedal-vi.jpg

As for decals, here's what I found works best.....first, you have to use paper designed for an inkjet if you are using one.....personally, I hate them.

I use an ALPS printer (no longer made). It's a ribbon printer that can print white as well as metallics. You can use any type of paper.

Then, I give the decal multiple light coats of Duplicolor clear spray paint to protect the decal (this is for inkjet as well). You have to use light coats with the inkjet or your ink will run.

I used to manufacture my own line of decals for scale modeling so I've done tons of decals in the past. Best source I found for decal paper was tangopapa decals. Best prices.

• Members

Thanks for the comments guys. I've been doing this for a while and have really gotten my technique down.

Thedash, I would suggest something simple with a small parts count as a first attempt at building your own pedal. Something like a Dallas Rangemaster is a low parts count but extremely useful pedal. Go to the layouts area of diystompboxes.com and there are several layouts that can easily be done on a small piece of vero/stripboard. Plus you can easily fit it in a MXR size 1590B enclosure.

StuckItToYa, yeah the Double Trouble is my one and only overdrive. It's basically a TS-808 tubescreamer clone and a Baked TS-9 in one pedal with a switch for changing input impedance, a mid-hump switch and it has a rotary switch for changing clipping diodes. Everything from stock, to yellow LED's, Zener, GE, and a lift for a clean boost.

Stratoslacker, yeah that's a mean pedal. It's a Rat clone with a diode clipping 3-way switch that switches from stock, to Yellow LED's, to MOSFETS. The yellow LED's are Darth Maul's eyes and they light up the harder the diodes clip. Looks great on a dark stage.

Hopefully my acid etched enclosures will be done in the next week or so and I'll post some more pics.

Archived