DIY Fuzz Face ... Need help

Gravity

• Members

Hi. I have a dunlop fuzz face that mysteriously quit working several years ago. I have gotten back into playing again, and, of course, it's still broke . I don't have a clue what's wrong, i have checked all the obvious things, (battery, check and make sure all contacts are not broken) but I don't know how to do anything past that. I have a multimeter, but wouldn't begin to know how to figure out what's wrong with my pedal. Please help!!!!

• Members

I just wanted to thank you guys for getting me thinking. I tried my first build on perfboard a few weeks ago (trotsky drive). I plugged it in, and got a barely audible signal. I looked over everything and it was wired correct and couldn't figure it out. When I read this thread i got thinking and tried putting the transister in different ways.

It was in a socket, so i rotated the pins around and BINGO - - it fired up and works perfect. The diagram was wrong on the package. I cant believe it. I wish I would have tried this a long time ago. BTW: the trotsky drive is a very cool pedal. It stacks very well.

• Members

dude that's awesome

I'm having a blast with mine. I bought a breadboard and re-built the fuzz. The breadboard is great, you do some soldering in the beginning, but then it's like playing with legos ... just remove and add parts etc..

I'm going to try and house mine pretty soon, just need to order a good switch, figure out an LED and find something interesting to put it in.

• Members

Hi. I have a dunlop fuzz face that mysteriously quit working several years ago. I have gotten back into playing again, and, of course, it's still broke . I don't have a clue what's wrong, i have checked all the obvious things, (battery, check and make sure all contacts are not broken) but I don't know how to do anything past that. I have a multimeter, but wouldn't begin to know how to figure out what's wrong with my pedal. Please help!!!!

If it is an old pedal replace elecrolytic capacitors. They sometimes dry, and multimeter is not a proper instrument to measure them. So, I think that changin those capacitors is the easiest and cheapest way to repair. Change one, test, change another, test etc. Resistors, I think will last forever in these kind of applications. Transistors are the next possible reason. Hope you can fix it, or if you have a friend understanding electronics and soldering, let him try...

F-Jag, Finland

Archived