LEDs for Boss pedals?

kyrreca

• Members

I'm currently trying to get started on pedal modifications by modding some of my Boss pedals. I'm pretty new to this stuff, so I'm just following instructions, but so far I've succesfully managed to turn an MT-2 into something halfway usable.

The thing is that I want to change the LEDs, so that it will be visible that my pedals are modded. :rolleyes: Because I'm an electronics noob, I'm not really sure what kind of LEDs to go for. Are there any differences between the different kinds of LEDs, or is it just the brightness? If there is a difference, which type is right for me? Also, they are are 3mm, right?

• Members

They are 3mm or you can drill them out and put 5mm in there. I buy them in bulk off ebay for really cheap from Hong Kong. They offer VERY bright ones! The higher mcd rating the brighter they are.

I've never bought any but I think these are pretty bright and you can buy as few or as many as you want: http://pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PPP&Category_Code=LO3

• Members

ultrabrights use a different chemical makeup which makes them way more efficient for a given current. Otherwise they are mostly the same. Same maximum current, similar typical forward voltage etc.

The one drawback with ultrabrights is that they tend to have a narrower beam width, to focus the light and make them appear even brighter. A "normal" LED might easily be viewable over 100

Archived