Mesa 50/50 [tube] suggestions, what have you heard?

dhaupin

• Members

Sup all been awhile since ive posted on HC forums. Been happy in guitar nirvana thanks to many a discussion here. I use a studio preamp into a 50/50 and I have some questions:

Am i able to run 2 different brand power tubes, one on each channel in the mesa 50/50? Is the bias myth true for this poweramp? Anyone tried the deep mod?

I have been researching new tubes for my 50/50 and many of them seem like they would be great, but honestly im just unable to "hear the changes myself" haha. Perhaps someone can offer some insight:

I play an '89 Greco 61 reissue SG with bareknuckle (similar to vh-2 model) humbucker. Its pretty hot, but relatively balanced. Mostly play on bridge humbucker. I sometimes use it coil tapped. I get most of my mids, cut, roundness, treble outta the studio pre. Its a little bit too round though when it comes to the low end. Dont mind the grime/bass at all, but I wanna try to get some deepness/punch out of the poweramp to balance the preamps "fat". Tighten it up a little persay, especially while in 15w mode. I am not looking for mid-scooped, or metal kinda chug rumble...just a little more crunch punch :)

Mesa 50/50 needs:

(3) 12AX7

(4) 6L6

Archived