Gig report. - Amon Amarth, septic flesh, as I lay dying

satannica

• Members

I know you guys like gig reports. Especially ones written by a drunk Irishman.

Septic flesh opened and they are immense. Their albums have grown musically over the years and the last disk they out out is definitely their best. This is the first I've seen them live and apart from needing slightly more experience in playing the larger crowds, do not disappoint. The duo of engl amps dominated the sound and the drummer is just phenomenal. Super tight and thoroughly good. The lead bloke/bassist had a rediculously long strap.

As I lay dying sucked balls. There is no other way to say it. And I didn't see a single amp either. I am entirely sure they were using modellers. There was definitely a fizz over the entire guitar sound and I found it difficult to make anything out. It's a shame as the musicians seemed very accomplished, but what they played just sucked. I got drunk during this lot.

Amon Amarth are always awesome. A pair of very cool looking gibson explorers with flamey paint jobs into what I think were peavey 6505 type amps. Clear and powerful and a good solid set. Standard favourites like Ride for Vengeance and Asgaard. A slightly frightening moment when it was announced that Brian Slagel was in the audience and nobody seemed to know who he was. Sacrilege!

I also see the HMV Forun has invested in some very swanky digital mixers. Couldn't see a brand name but there was a hardware component and a bunch of monitors with what looked like fader groups. Nice.

• Members

You didn't notice anything................off........about Septic Flesh's performance?

...or lack thereof.

Elaborate?

As I Lay Dying are the only metalcore band I like that I haven't seen live. Surprised they weren't running 6505's like Amon (who definitely use 6505+'s live). I've never had the pleasure of Amon - and can't rightfully go see them with such a weak library of their music. I only have like 3 of their CDs.

• Members

You didn't notice anything................off........about Septic Flesh's performance?

...or lack thereof.

Are you talking about the fact that they don't move around much on stage? I saw them open on a smaller stage during the Devin/CoB tour and they played their parts. There was headbanging but they weren't trying to run or anything like that.

• Members

Well the bass was certainly live as it reacted to his cocking about. I did think the drums were very perfect, but I didn't get a sense that there was any shenanigans, though they did have a backing track for the synth parts. The mix of the backing track was kinda low and some of the parts particularly towards the end didn't come over, so maybe that's what you heard?

Also, the breakdown style at the end where the instruments peeled off one by one, that was definitely live.

I think therefore all is above board...

• Members

Elaborate?

As I Lay Dying are the only metalcore band I like that I haven't seen live. Surprised they weren't running 6505's like Amon (who definitely use 6505+'s live). I've never had the pleasure of Amon - and can't rightfully go see them with such a weak library of their music. I only have like 3 of their CDs.

They haven't been running Peaveys since Frail Words Collapse. Rectos/Kranks for a while....Shadows specifically.

Not sure about now. When I saw them they sounded HUGE. It was outdoors in like 05 or 06 though.

• Members

Well the bass was certainly live as it reacted to his cocking about. I did think the drums were very perfect, but I didn't get a sense that there was any shenanigans, though they did have a backing track for the synth parts. The mix of the backing track was kinda low and some of the parts particularly towards the end didn't come over, so maybe that's what you heard?

Also, the breakdown style at the end where the instruments peeled off one by one, that was definitely live.

I think therefore all is above board...

Maybe they were only faking it for the US gigs or something. :confused:

• Members

Surprised to hear that. It all seemed live to me. I even saw a duo of rather tasty engls hiding behind the silk screens.

Aild im sure were not running amps as far as I could see and it did sound fizzy as he'll. But they were {censored} anyway.

Amon ruled and they were definitely peaveys of some description, I guess the 6505+ as you say. They were side filled so didn't get a great view.

Archived