Head/Speaker Wattage

Mikoo69

• Members

I have a 4x12 loaded with 4 Celestion Blues. Each is rated at 15Watts, making the cabinet a total of 60Watts.

Right now I run a Fender Deluxe Reverb into the cab cranked (22 watt amp). I push the amp with boosts/overdrives/fuzzes maxed out and it sounds great.

I need a bit more volume however, so I am interested in a 50 watt amp. Would I be able to run the 50 watt amp (maybe a Marshall JMP) through this cabinet without blowing the speakers? Also want to boost the amp with pedals, and I like to get loud at points, so would this be risky or would I be safe?

• Members

well with the deluxe, i keep the amp on 6 (doesn't get louder after 6, just more compressed). then all my boosts/ODs are on max volume, so i am pushing the 22 watt deluxe as far as it can possibly go, though 60watts of speakers. never had a problem with the speakers.

i just need a bit more headroom at this point so want a higher wattage amp, and love 50 watt JMPS and the likes. I guess if i wanted to crank the JMP, I could always use an attenuator to bring it down a bit to protect the speakers, no?

Archived