Take this ice pick out of my ear. Please recommend a speaker.

pogoshoes

• Members

I play a 12 string Rickenbacker 620 thru a stock 65 RI Fender Twin Reverb.

I am going to disconnect one speaker as part of a few mods I'm doing to bring the amp to more "ear friendly" volume levels.

I can get some good tones out of the stock Jensen speakers,but the low end is flubby and annoying,and the sparkle that I like out of the high end leaves my ears hurting from "ice pick to the ear" highs.

When I dial in "my" sound I get a nice shimmer when playing arpeggios,but strumming full chords sounds terrible.Too harsh.I have dialed in decent rhythm sounds but there are still ear piercing highs in there.

I have stood right in front of J Mascis at Dinosaur Jr. shows and my ears never suffered like this.I don't even turn the volume up past 2 or 3 at the most.

I want to play the simple songs I play on 12 string acoustic on a 12 string electric.Mostly looking for a good electric,rhythm guitar,12 string tone.The Rickenbacker plays great unplugged I just need a speaker that can handle the dynamics of some good old open chord strumming.Seems I have to strum really soft or it sounds harsh.

Speaker suggestions?

• Members

This is not my wheel house of knowledge -- but I've heard a lot of guys that use Twin's like these speakers as possible replacements:

Weber Californias

JBL D-120(F)

Celestion V30's (yes, V30s -- suppose to smooth the highs)

I'm sure there are others. Do some research.

Archived