Ready for a sloppy clip? Minor thirds tuning wankery in here.

nightflameauto

• Members

Beastly Suite work in progress clip

Short version:

Minor thirds tuning on an 8 string. Oddball chords, my goofy rhythm style, sloppy work-in-progress rhythm only crap.

Long version:

B minor thirds tuning (every third fret = next string equivalent). I've babbled a bit around here about doing this to find more piano-like chords. So here's a sample of it.

It's a suite of (currently) six 'songs' all loosely tied together by a theme. Current subtitles you're hearing here are:

Awakening (clean up front and dirty bits that echo it)

Anger (riff right after the repeated clean bit to the slow down)

Contemplation (slow bit)

Distraction (sped up riffs all over, not cohesive, not meant to be)

I'm still in the middle of writing it, so I know some of the playing is a bit rough here and there. I just got a little excited about how it's shaping up thus far and had a decent sounding mix I wanted to share with the den for a scum.

The bass drops out before the end of the clip because it's not in minor thirds tuning yet and some of the speedy stuff isn't working. (Strings are on the way to remedy this problem.) It's the very first time I've had a cohesive enough mix that the guitars actually sound weaker with the bass going away. This makes me very, VERY happy.

Recording deets:

No mapz utilized for guitar or bass. I love my AMT preamps: P1 on the left, R1 on the right, both through Recabinet. Bass has a three way split path. Two clean, one of them through a Recabinet bass setup, one left straight other than EQ. The third goes through a Lepou plugin (Legion I believe) for some grit, all the low and high sucked out of it, then sent through a Recabinet guitar setup. Everything is direct through a Focusrite Saffire interface.

Enjoy. Comment. :poke: for sloppy playing.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I know the cleans are {censored}ed up. Something was clipping and I didn't catch it. It'll be fixed later.

• Members

The chord options are fun as hell to play with. Plus you can do the spooky movie minor thirds crawl with a bar chord.
:lol:

Thanks for listening!

No problem!

Some nice heavies in there...interested to see where those parts fit into complete songs.

• Members

Sounded good, man.

I've gotta admit, though. I don't understand why you'd tune to thirds. It seems completely pointless to me, honestly. Maybe I'm just not seeing the advantage of it or something, but it seems to me that you're just decreasing the range of a guitar and not gaining anything from doing so.

• Members

Sounded good, man.

I've gotta admit, though. I don't understand why you'd tune to thirds. It seems completely pointless to me, honestly. Maybe I'm just not seeing the advantage of it or something, but it seems to me that you're just decreasing the range of a guitar and not gaining anything from doing so.

It's offers you chord options that either aren't available, or are really, REALLY difficult to achieve in standard tunings. There's a hang-up with modern players about gaining as much range as possible with their instruments, then sticking to the bottom two or three strings in those expanded tunings. I guess I just felt like going the other direction.

I spent about three years seriously burned out on the idea of playing guitar. This is making me enjoy it again. Probably doesn't matter to people listening, but it matters to the guy playing it. :idk:

Archived