2008 Splawn Nitro vs 2012 Splawn Nitro Videos

stompboxfreak72

• Members

Recorded both clips with a Gibson LP with Suhr Aldrich pups. Both clips are unboosted with no fx. Gain is at noon on both clips. I play a riff on OD1 and then repeat the riff on OD2. The videos are annotated so you know when I am in OD1 or OD2.

[video=youtube;VSzRd_WcUOw]

[video=youtube;NV3XJMAN1Gs]

• Members

ah, thanks for posting that man. I can hear what I liked better about the newer ones compared to those original versions. It sounds almost more articulate to me with more grind. The original sounds a bit brighter to me, but it's like a buzz instead of a sizzle. Great little comparison demo man. So which are you preferring at this point?

• Members

ah, thanks for posting that man. I can hear what I liked better about the newer ones compared to those original versions. It sounds almost more articulate to me with more grind. The original sounds a bit brighter to me, but it's like a buzz instead of a sizzle. Great little comparison demo man. So which are you preferring at this point?

I play my first gig with the new guy tomorrow. It's got more saturation and is less "boxy" if that makes sense. The 2008 just owns a mix and if the 2012 does the same I have no doubt that I will be using my old one as a backup. Its all going to depend on how it sits in the mix though.

In the few hours I have spent with it I can say that it is way more saturated and has more gain on tap. Scott basically took all the user complaints/issues and then tweaked accordingly. I need a few gigs and maybe some Ruby tubes before I can make up my mind.

• Members

eh, sound very similar but I know that these videos typically don't amount to a hill of beans compared to what they sound like in the room but first impression is that I shouldn't be kicking myself over upgrading any time soon. Kemper's gotta come first then I'll see where were at. It'll probably end up being a new QR or one of those rockstah mod 5's.

For now, Mufasa stays. :lol:

• Members

eh, sound very similar but I know that these videos typically don't amount to a hill of beans compared to what they sound like in the room but first impression is that I shouldn't be kicking myself over upgrading any time soon. Kemper's gotta come first then I'll see where were at. It'll probably end up being a new QR or one of those rockstah mod 5's.

For now, Mufasa stays.
:lol:

your Nitro sounds killer in your vids Drew. It's part of the reason I tried another, lol. I would't lose any sleep over it.

Kemper eh? I wish that thing was out like 5yrs ago, I would have a serious library.

• Members

There aren't wholesale changes here but the tweaks are noticeable for sure. The big difference for me is the feel of the amp. The 2012 does not fight me as much and I get the liquidy feel much easier than before. The videos won't do some things justice but the volume taper is greatly improved. Yes the loop volume is there but even the actual taper is better. I am completely satisfied with buying the amp so far.

I plan on shooting some live clips from my gig saturday. This damn Zoom Q3 is the best $110 I have spent in awhile.

• Members

For now, Mufasa stays.
:lol:

I really did not get along with my QR but I am tempted to flip some stuff and try that amp out again. I will be in NC in June and I am going to try to see if I can swing by the shop and play a new QR if Scott happens to have one available. I want that damn 5153 though so who knows.

• Members

I really did not get along with my QR but I am tempted to flip some stuff and try that amp out again. I will be in NC in June and I am going to try to see if I can swing by the shop and play a new QR if Scott happens to have one available. I want that damn 5153 though so who knows.

Would be interested to hear your opinion. What year Quick Rod did you have?

I had one of the older 3 preamp tube versions with gears and the old cleans. It's one of the very few amps I regret getting rid of. Really aggressive and had a great mid grind. A guy on the Splawn forums offered to trade me for the version that had just come out, with updated clean channel. Told me he hated his cosmetics, and loved mine, and would trade me straight up. I really didn't give a crap about the headshell, so I was all for getting a brand new updated amp in a straight up trade. I didn't like that version nearly as much as my old one unfortunately, something was missing compared to my old one. I've heard the new ones have been improved too, but haven't heard any, or known it. I was hoping they sounded more like that old one I had.

As long as you are revisiting updated versions of previous amps you've owned, and must have liked something about, make sure you check out the Recto Reborn series too. I have a Reborn Triple Rec that sounds killer. I've owned almost every revision Recto, and this is one of my favorites. Just like every revision, there are gems and duds though, need to play a few, but they are out there.

• Members

Would be interested to hear your opinion. What year Quick Rod did you have?

I had one of the older 3 preamp tube versions with gears and the old cleans. It's one of the very few amps I regret getting rid of. Really aggressive and had a great mid grind. A guy on the Splawn forums offered to trade me for the version that had just come out, with updated clean channel. Told me he hated his cosmetics, and loved mine, and would trade me straight up. I really didn't give a crap about the headshell, so I was all for getting a brand new updated amp in a straight up trade. I didn't like that version nearly as much as my old one unfortunately, something was missing compared to my old one. I've heard the new ones have been improved too, but haven't heard any, or known it. I was hoping they sounded more like that old I had.

As long as you are revisiting updated versions of previous amps you've owned, and must have liked something about, make sure you check out the Recto Reborn series too. I have a Reborn Triple Rec that sounds killer. I've owned almost every revision Recto, and this is one of my favorites. Just like every revision, there are gems and duds though, need to play a few, but they are out there.

I had a 2009 QR. just really disliked it. I think I had a dud. Had multiple issues with it.

I played a DR for 8 years before I got the Nitro. I have been very curious about the Reborns. Damn you...

• Members

I think I preffered the 2008. The 2012 sounds more hollow and "marshally". Difficult to say without abing them in person. Like, the 2012 is better to play on your own when you think you are the bass player along with the guitar but that the 2008 would grind better, far better in a band thing. More mids, more...sound.

• Members

I liked the 5153 but it didn't blow me away. crunch channel was very disappointing. great amp but nothing I would pick over my nitro. I'd like to try a sig x next to the 5153. I think the sig would probably win simply from the clips ive heard

• Members

I liked the 5153 but it didn't blow me away. crunch channel was very disappointing. great amp but nothing I would pick over my nitro. I'd like to try a sig x next to the 5153. I think the sig would probably win simply from the clips ive heard

I was thinking of the 5153 Mini to leave at rehearsal. I have a 6505+ and its great for just leaving at rehearsals but I would like a real clean channel. The Sig X is on my want list to try out also. I played one once but at low volume so it was not useful. So many amps....so little time.

Edit : wife just sent me a text that she wants me to go buy an Aquos Quattro 70 Tv.....is it wrong that the first thought in my mind was that I could buy a new amp or LP instead for that kind of money ? Oh well....off to buy a tv.....

• Members

I was thinking of the 5153 Mini to leave at rehearsal. I have a 6505+ and its great for just leaving at rehearsals but I would like a real clean channel. The Sig X is on my want list to try out also. I played one once but at low volume so it was not useful. So many amps....so little time.

Edit : wife just sent me a text that she wants me to go buy an Aquos Quattro 70 Tv.....is it wrong that the first thought in my mind was that I could buy a new amp or LP instead for that kind of money ? Oh well....off to buy a tv.....

lol,something to think about

• Members

well you know how I feel about the two amps but,are they both dialed exactly the same minus the solo volume on the 08.I know it has to be around 9:00 at all times or it affects the tone

Agreed. I've never played a louder amp....DAMN.

• Members

Played my first gig with the new Nitro tonight. It was a bit of a train wreck but the sound guy and venue had a lot to do with that. The stage is hollow and old so any bass/low end was just bouncing every where. We had all kinds og feedback on the stage and thru the monitors. The first set was horrid. My amp was also sqealing like a pig. I will be ordering new tubes from VQ monday. I was hoping I could get some use out of the stock Valve Arts but those tubes are pure {censored} plain and simple.

Boosting the 2012 Nitro is an absolute waste. I was running the gain between 10-11 oclock and it was more gain and saturation than my 2008 could muster. But OD2 got very muddy when I hit it. I was getting better sustain out of OD1 by far. It was a bit odd and disappointing. I never used it on my old Nitro and it looks like it will be of the same now.

I have another show next weekend. Will at least order preamp tubes this week and see if I can notch the squealing.

• Members

Update.....

Ordered new preamp tubes for Laura aka valvequeen.com and installed my usual cocktail of tungsols in v2-v4 and a Ruby ac+ in V1. I have a microphonic power tube so I pulled two tubes and ran in 50 watt mode last night. I usually do not use a NS but the gain gets a bit noisy at noon on this amp so I put an ISP in the loop before the delay.

The tone was nothing shy of fantastic. I never got the gain higher than 11 oclock and it was searing. It was the first gig I have ever played where I did not use a boost.

This amp sounds like a Marshall where my 2008 Nitro did not. You cannot set these amps the same way either. I run the resonance and presence at noon on the 2012 and would never have done that on my 2008. The gain on the amp smokes the 2008. Not even close. This is no longer a dry,stiff amp. I like my gain...I like it a lot. But when I can run at 11oclock with no boost then something has changed.

When I first got this amp I really did not hear wholesale changes compared to the 2008. The more I gig it the more obvious the differences are. The 2012 will not dominate a mix like the 2008 and that is not a bad thing. I am no longer overpowering the band and stage mix with my volume at 9 oclock. I am no longer using loop volume tricks. I can open this amp up a bit and get the meanest sound I have had yet.

Am I still on honeymoon ? Yes and no. I have had the Nitro for nearly 4 years. I knew I would like this newer model even if I preferred the 2008 over it. But the improvements in volume taper, gain and voicing make this the Nitro I always wanted my 2008 to be.

I will put some real power tubes in the amp in the next week or 2. Im running the stock Valve Art tubes that Scott puts in these. I get why he does it but those tubes are utter {censored}e. Just awful. Stock a bigger array and give the customer an upcharge if you must but only offering Valve Art tubes is the only complaint I have about this amp after almost a month.

• Members

I never use OD2 on my 2010 Nitro. I like OD1 boosted with a Suhr Koko Boost on the mid-boost side.

Matt can you expain to me what is so great about the kOKO?I read how great it is but nobody ever says what it is about that pedal that makes it so frkn great...lol

and I pretty much never use OD2.I like the attack and feel of OD1 better

• Members

glad to year you are diggin it man. :thu:

Matt can you expain to me what is so great about the kOKO?I read how great it is but nobody ever says what it is about that pedal that makes it so frkn great...lol

and I pretty much never use OD2.I like the attack and feel of OD1 better

Definitely would like to hear your opinion on the Koko Matt.

Archived