Should I trade my Maxon OD808 for a Fulltone OCD or JHS Mr. Magic Booster?

xnickbeex

• Members

I have two different offers: Fulltone OCD and the JHS Mr. Magic Booster/Enhancer/Buffer...

With the current amp I own, (Orange Thunderverb 50) the Maxon hasn't been getting much use, as it doesn't seem to compliment the voicing unfortunately...

However, I do like it with other amps I have owned in the past so it may be useful as a studio tool in the near future.

Also, I like the idea of a straight up boost as I don't really need any additive overdrive since I'm fully satisfied with the gain from my amp.

I always thought the Zvex SHO would be cool, and the Mr. Magic seems to do a pretty similar effect.

Helllpppp! :confused:

• Members

Oranges are insanely picky with dirt.

Don't like tubescreamers

Don't like the OCD

Try the JHS, I suppose. I had an SHO clone that sounded good with it (which was pleasantly surprising)

interesting, didnt know that. i would love the chance to play more of their amps, is that true about clean boosts for them too? that might work for the OP, sounds like he is happy with the dirt of the amp. i have a clean boost and like it on some amps, doenst add more gain per say just pushes amp a bit harder.

• Members

interesting, didnt know that. i would love the chance to play more of their amps, is that true about clean boosts for them too? that might work for the OP, sounds like he is happy with the dirt of the amp. i have a clean boost and like it on some amps, doenst add more gain per say just pushes amp a bit harder.

Yeah! I'm just looking for some extra push i guess. Just to sound a tad fatter...

• Members

Well, it seems like the more transparent the dirt, the more Oranges like it.

I know the Pork Loin works great with them, SHO's and clones, even Billy's Red Llama clone worked pretty well as a boost.

Of course this isn't true of the older OR80/120 series amps. They were much more pedal friendly.

FWIW, I just recorded some tones with my orange (on the clean channel) and a tubescreamer (ibanez ts808)...but I was going for a real stank-nasty kind of slide tone. Had the treble and level cranked on the TS, was using a melody maker lp jr on the bridge p90. So even though they're not necessarily pedal friendly, there's a place for their special brand of pedal interaction, even if it's not your normal go-to tones.

• Members

i use an older catalinbread super chili picoso. love it with my fender, dont have experience w oranges though so take it for whats it worth. the pedal is sweet bc its just one big knob, i can adjust it easily while playing.

• Members

Oranges are insanely picky with dirt.

Don't like tubescreamers

Don't like the OCD

Try the JHS, I suppose. I had an SHO clone that sounded good with it (which was pleasantly surprising)

I've had really good luck with the AD series amps and my Maxon OD808. That said, I prefer my OCD. I wouldn't sell either though as they do different things (IMO). I use the 808 exclusively as a boost with no gain added. I use the OCD as a supplement to my distortion tone and run the gain on it around noon. To me, it's not as good for slight boost.

• Members

I should have amended my list of "exceptions" to include the ad30. Although it's still picky, just not as bad as the higher-gain Oranges. And I still wouldn't call it 'pedal friendly'. It's just not a 'pedal asshole' :)

• Members

I should have amended my list of "exceptions" to include the ad30. Although it's still picky, just not as bad as the higher-gain Oranges. And I still wouldn't call it 'pedal friendly'. It's just not a 'pedal asshole'
:)

Agreed. The 808 is the only pedal I've found it takes well.

I owned a RV for a while. That thing didn't like any drive pedals :lol:

Archived