Finally had a chance to REALLY CRANK 'EM UP! (Blackstar + Tubemeister content)

larips

• Members

[video=youtube;na5mml18i5Y]

Recorded with Shure SM57 (pics of not-so-ideal mic position in 0:55). Both amps thru the same H&K TM 112 cabinet.

Go to Youtube vid description for clickable time links.

0:00 H&K Lead channel, no boost, 5W mode

0:39 H&K Lead channel, boost, 5W mode

3:00 Blackstar, Overdrive channel, varying gan/volume settings

9:25 Blackstar, Overdrive channel, boost: Boss SD-1

13:57 H&K, Lead channel, boost: Boss SD-1, 5W mode

16:36 H&K, Clean channel

17:20 H&K, Lead channel, boost: Boss SD-1, 18W mode

I'm always having trouble coming up with stuff to play in these kind of videos which leads to shaky playing, but so be it. I tried to play similar stuff on all settings to make them more comparable. My Gibson also had some intonation problems (A string) and I didn't have time/equipment to fix it on the spot. But other than that (mic placement, poor playing, intonation problems) it's bloody brilliant video demonstrating the sounds one gets out of these amps on high volumes. :)

• Members

Both amps sound good...the Tubemeister strikes me as sounding like a higher quality amp (i.e. not fizzy, straight up tube tone) but also like it's better suited for more classic rock kind of stuff. The Blackstar sounded better on the metal riffs.

• Members

Both amps sound good...the Tubemeister strikes me as sounding like a higher quality amp (i.e. not fizzy, straight up tube tone) but also like it's better suited for more classic rock kind of stuff. The Blackstar sounded better on the metal riffs.

I thought the HK was kinda buzzy sounding :idk: It sounds more like mic placement though. I liked the BS better myself.

• Members

I thought the HK was kinda buzzy sounding
:idk:
It sounds more like mic placement though. I liked the BS better myself.

When he starts out playing each amp with less gain and no boost, I think the Tubemeister sounds a lot better than the Blackstar, which had still a bit of fizz (although it could be the amp settings and mic placement). When he turned up the gain and played some metal riffs I thought the Blackstar sounded a good bit better.

• Members

Man that is some awesome playing.. and some awesome tones.. I think in fairness both are great amps..and each does a excellent job.

Thanks!

Yup, they have different characteristics that are "ideal" for different applications. I don't know yet which one I like more, if it's a tie.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Now thats a {censored}ing demo ladies and gents :thu:

This video is over a month old (never saw it) Seriously, nice job showing what the amps can and cant do, nice playing and nice tone. I think i would have run out of riffs 1/2 through :lol:

Whatever pedal you hit at the 17 :40 mark just sweetened and tightened up the tone --BTW what speaker is in that Hughes and Kettner Cabinet? Nice job bromite

:thu:

Archived