so how does this happen?

mamberg

• Members

Ok -- I'm not an internet noob and I know there are tracking cookies and sites but.....

Earlier today I was on my local craigslist and saw an ad with some yamaha monitors and subs - so I highlighted the name/model - right clicked - google searched and read about them.

Then saw some tannoys and did the same thing.

Hours later came on here -- and what are the first two ads at the top of the page?

Yup -- the exact models I searched earlier -- with the sub and everything!

Coincidence?

I think not.......

• Members

Ok -- I'm not an internet noob and I know there are tracking cookies and sites but.....

Earlier today I was on my local craigslist and saw an ad with some yamaha monitors and subs - so I highlighted the name/model - right clicked - google searched and read about them.

Then saw some tannoys and did the same thing.

Hours later came on here -- and what are the first two ads at the top of the page?

Yup -- the exact models I searched earlier -- with the sub and everything!

Coincidence?

I think not.......

No, its not at all. You searched with google. They track ALLLLL that {censored}. Are you using Chrome as a browser?

They know all. ALLLL

WOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH *more spooky sounds*

• Members

Ads? What Ads? Oh you are a noob for not using Firefox with AdBlock on it . I never see ads .

If you are using Chrome seems there is Adblock for it now. Never used Chrome so not sure how it works

I don't use adblock because i visit a lot of sites supported by ads, webcomics and {censored}. I randomly click on their ads to help out places I want to support cause I can't buy all the Tshirts I want.

BUT, if that wasn't the case, adblock would be the thing for me. You are missing out on some hilarious lulz sometimes though.

• Members

I don't understand the concept of advertising something that a user has
already researched
?

Advertising the alternatives/competition to that product makes much more sense.

Not necessarily. Most people research things a handful of times before buying. That company is paying for the advertisement now in the form of banners to stay in front of you. That way you're perceiving them as a great option.

So the problem is...how does a competitor come in to play? How do they find out who to target? That info isn't as readily available to them. It's not like some marketing company out there is pitting Coke vs Pepsi, when you always search for coke. You'll get differing ads in google itself...but the banner will be similar to what you've searched on in the past.

• Members
I don't use adblock because i visit a lot of sites supported by ads, webcomics and {censored}. I randomly click on their ads to help out places I want to support cause I can't buy all the Tshirts I want.

BUT, if that wasn't the case, adblock would be the thing for me. You are missing out on some hilarious lulz sometimes though.

Exactly. It is a form of web support. Sweetwater does it. :idk: You *might* see something interesting. And just because you did research doesn't mean you are done. The ads don't bother me...but I suppose some people might want to be careful what they just searched. "Show your desktop" thread with a Dildoes-R-Us advert. :lol:

• Members

I don't understand the concept of advertising something that a user has
already researched
?

Advertising the alternatives/competition to that product makes much more sense.

Depends. If you're researching something, you're probably interested in buying it. Sending you an ad from the store selling it makes sense. On the other hand, sending you an ad from a competitor, rather than a retailer would make sense from the competitor's point of view.

• Members

Not necessarily. Most people research things a handful of times before buying. That company is paying for the advertisement now in the form of banners to stay in front of you. That way you're perceiving them as a great option.

So the problem is...how does a competitor come in to play? How do they find out who to target? That info isn't as readily available to them. It's not like some marketing company out there is pitting Coke vs Pepsi, when you always search for coke. You'll get differing ads in google itself...but the banner will be similar to what you've searched on in the past.

The competitors would pay to have their product advertised when an alternative is searched for.

It's simple.

• Members

Search history.... How does it work?

I guess that's my question.

They aren't seeing my search history - are they?

Is it an embedded ad service that is tracking me on multiple sites to bring up here what i searched on completely different sites? Do they have to be on both sites?

• Members

I guess that's my question.

They aren't seeing my search history - are they?

Is it an embedded ad service that is tracking me on multiple sites to bring up here what i searched on completely different sites? Do they have to be on both sites?

they absolutely are

• Members

You can disable it on whichever sites you want and it will always be disabled on those sites until you change it back.

Archived