Peavey Prowler vs. Peavey ValveKing?

Mind Riot

• Members

I've been reading around the web, looking for information on the Prowler as there's one I'm considering buying.

But according to a lot of the Tech types over on the Peavey forums and elsewhere, the Prowler and Valve King are virtually identical. Like, down to the schematics identical.

Now I'm wondering if I should be looking out for a deal on a ValveKing, I've seen some go pretty cheap, and they do have the ability to run a 4, 8, or 16 ohm internal speaker, which would be nice considering I've got an almost new 16 ohm WGS Retro 30 I could throw in it that won't work in the prowler.

Anybody here have any thoughts on this? Are there points I should consider that I'm missing?

Thanks for any help. :wave:

• Members

There is a site ultimate guitar valveking or something which has a lot of technical info and how disengaging diode clipping and a gain stage makes the valveking pretty much a JCM 800. You can google it easily. But I never remember reading anything like that! Interesting. Did the prowler also had diode clipping and a fenderised tonestack? By the way there are two different official valveking versions and they differ on brightness, minimal circuit mods.

• Members

For some reason I find it hard to believe that they are identical. For one thing doesn't the VK have some kind of Class A/AB texture control? I remember playing the Valveking in a shop and it being different than my Prowler, but of course it could be due to different speaker etc. The Prowler is USA made too, though.

• Members

While very similar there are some significant differences. The Prowler has an active gain channel, the VK's is passive. The Prowler allows you to hook up an external cab and run along with the internal speaker. On the VK it turns off the internal speaker when doing that - can't run both at the same time. The Prowler speaker is a Blue Marvel, which I've heard is better than the stock VK one. The Prowler is USA made and seems more solid. The VK has the class A/AB feature.

• Members

The VK class A/AB feature (well sort of class A etc) can be removed from the signal path and unload the circuit. Also the smaller VK have tight/loose style switch for controlling pressence and ressonance. Does the prowler have those too? The bigger VK have separate pressence ressonance.

• Members

Aaaaaagh, decisions. I'm watching a VK on ebay that's selling for quite a bit less than the Prowler I was looking at, and I've already got a nice WGS Retro 30 to replace the stock speaker. The Prowler won't accept it, as it's a 16 ohm and the max for the Prowler is 8 ohms.

The 112 VK does have the resonance control on the back.

I don't think the footswitch is included with the VK but it is with the Prowler I've been watching.

*tears hair out*

• Members

I'm getting the Prowler. The VK I was looking at was cheaper, but it also didn't include a footswitch. The Prowler I'm getting also comes loaded with a Vintage 30, while I'd have to upgrade the stock speaker in the VK.

Factoring in the cost of the footswitch and the benefit of the included Vintage 30, it's clear the used Prowler is a better value. :thu:

• Members

I'm getting the Prowler. The VK I was looking at was cheaper, but it also didn't include a footswitch. The Prowler I'm getting also comes loaded with a Vintage 30, while I'd have to upgrade the stock speaker in the VK.

Factoring in the cost of the footswitch and the benefit of the included Vintage 30, it's clear the used Prowler is a better value.
:thu:

You made the right choice. MIA Peavey v. MIC Peavey with highly similar circuit? You made the right choice man. :thu:

• Members

You made the right choice. MIA Peavey v. MIC Peavey with highly similar circuit? You made the right choice man.
:thu:

I can't wait. *jumps up and down* It won't get here until sometime next week, though. :(

Everything I've heard from the Ultra series of amps has been good, both in clips and in word of mouth. And this one was a good deal, if you factor in the Vintage 30. :thu:

Archived