What is a good, maybe inexpensive method to record oneself for youtube upload?

Disco Cat

• Members

With picture quality in mind, and using an audio stream from a separate interface? I think my Nexus S cell camera isn't good enough, and I don't have a useful web cam. The last web cam I owned definitely would not produce a suitable picture. Just looking for recommended methods and models.

• Members

I couldn't get decent audio with my digital camera so I use a slide show program that I downloaded for free off the internet (Windows Photostory 3), my Digitech Jamman pedal and a SM57 mic. You load pictures in the slide show program and it lets you add an audio track. I use Audacity (another free program) to convert the Jamman WAV file to an MP3 before adding it to the slide show. You can use any digital recorder in place of the Jamman. Some may do the MP3 conversion for you eliminating the need to do that step. There are plenty of cheap digital recorders out there to pick from. The slide show program marries the two files and gives you a single file you can upload on Youtube. The results aren't too bad and it cost me absolutely nothing since I already had the pedal and the mic. Here's one I did this way.

QYIqtnMru1g

The slide show program has some visual effects you can add to the pictures like writing on them or effects with how the pictures open & close, how long it's shown and so on. You can get creative with that and put some weird stuff in your video if to you want to. Here is one where I used a few of the options.....nothing too crazy.

OWgISAZ4PeI

If you don't want to get get into all of that you can just use a single picture of the rig you are using or whatever and set the duration to the length of your audio clip like this one.

8kbe3mAJGSw

There are similar freeware programs on the internet that let you marry a video to a separate audio track. It's a low cost option that works.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions. The Nikon l26 has really nice fidelity for that price. I found a good price on a new Zoom Q3HD with the accessory pack and free shipping - $299, so I got one. There are more from the same auction still available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoom-Q3HD-Q3-HD-Video-Recorder-Kit-FREE-NEXT-DAY-AIR-/390436750648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae7d80538

Archived