OT: Laptop screen repair. Halp Plox!

JerEvil

• Members

So apparently my daughter dropped her machine (13" McBook) or knocked the screen with something and then tried acting like the computer was lost.

Looked on some Mac forums and found a place that came well recommended called www.iResq.com

Anyone ever had their LCD replaced? If so, did it come out ok?

For a matte finish screen it's $189 which is a hell of a lot more reasonable than buying a new computer or paying Apple $600.

• Members

I have done a couple myself for friends in the last couple years. Both were Toshibas. i would check on the internet for replacement instructions. It really wasnt that difficult and took about an hour. It was far cheaper than the $400 they were quoted. Just check youtube or google to find a tutorial. I am sure these is probably a few out there. The one for the Toshiba machnes had detailed step by step.

• Members

I have done a couple myself for friends in the last couple years. Both were Toshibas. i would check on the internet for replacement instructions. It really wasnt that difficult and took about an hour. It was far cheaper than the $400 they were quoted. Just check youtube or google to find a tutorial. I am sure these is probably a few out there. The one for the Toshiba machnes had detailed step by step.

I totally agree. It's not that hard to open these things up and get to work on them. I have a Gateway FX laptop that I have had apart (completely) and put back together about 15 times. That one had some issues, but now it is dead stable.

The secret to finding a good price on a screen is to find out the specs of the one you have and preferably the manufacturer. When you do, pop it into eBay. If you can save $70 bucks by doing it yourself, it is worth it. But if a screen costs $150 everywhere you turn, then I would just pay the $189 (cause that is a good deal, honestly).

• Members

Just to echo what others have already mentioned & as long as you are careful, replacing a laptop screen is fairly straightforward.

I also was able to replace the screen on my wife's laptop a couple of years ago... She was handing it to me and we both happened to let go of it at the same time :facepalm:

I found a replacement screen online for around $150 and figured it was worth the gamble as a replacement laptop would have been 5x more. The new screen has been working perfectly ever since.

• Members

I replaced the case and LCD on a friend's 13" Macbook. This was the white case one. It wasn't too hard to do. He bought the LCD and case on ebay. There are vids on youtube on how to do it. You can do this yourself with no problems. Watch the vids a few times and then go at it.

Archived