NAD: Jumped on the lunchbox bandwagon; Jet City Picovalve

panther_king

• Members

NAD!

I stopped into my local GC when I saw a sweet little JCA PicoValve sitting on top of a beat old carpet covered Randall RG100. I've been really looking for a little low wattage lunchbox style amp to dink around on; I've got a baby coming and volume is at a premium right now. After a coupon I had, it ran about $120, so I really couldn't say no.

Took her home, and swapped the Shuguang 6L6WGB and Chinese 12AX7B for a Tungsol 6550 and 12AX7's. Love the little guy.. totally worth the relatively little amount of cash. I've been reading up on a ton of mods for the little guys too.

Also; anyone know if taking it out of the shell all together is going to cause any problems with feedback/interference? I love the hi-fi audio look with the top and sides/bottom off.

CSB; crappy pic right after I swapped the tube.

DSC01492.jpg

• Members

Can you link some of the mods you're finding for it?

I don't have any exact links, but the common ones that interest me are changing resistors for bass/treble issues, and adding a loop. There also a pretty wicked pop when i turn it on/off and when changing the wattage (i guess it's a known issue) that I haven't figured out what needs to get done to fix.

Anyone have recommendations for some other bottles, or any experiences running amps 'naked'? I really want to take off the stupid looking side panels, but I'd have to it to cause issues with the components being uncovered on the bottom. Don't see how it could, but I'm no builder.

• Members

I have a pico also. An EL34 is worth a try, I am currently running one and like it, also experiment with the preamp tubes. I keep a 12ax7 in the V2 position, and am currently running a JJ 12au7 in V1. The 12au7 gives a lot more clean headroom while still giving plenty of gain if needed. It also lowers the volume a little, which you may like with a baby. Please share mods you find, I would like to try and get some of the muddiness out of the amp.

Archived