Spent last weekend in Little Rock at the Mutants of Monsters II doom fest. Review...

Soundstorm

• Members

Here's a brief review.

First, I don't remember much. I got to meet most of the bands involved, ate shrooms with the guys from Pallbearer (my new favorite band), took lots of valium, adderrall, jameson, and smoked killer bud. By the third day it was an endurance contest to make it til the closing bands.

Here's the band lineup (I highly doubt you'll recognize many if any of these bands, sorry I don't have the lineup for thursday, we didn't make it there til early Friday):

Rwake

Hull

The Ascent of Everest

Broken Teeth

Dakhma

Beneath Oblivion

Sound of the Mountain

Chronic Ritual

Pallbearer

Biipigwan

Laser Flames of the Great Big News

Holy Angell

((Thorlock))

Snakedriver

Tyrannosorceress

God City Destroyers

Peckerwolf

Deadbird

Yakuza

Epoch of Unlight

Sons of Tonatiuh

Savagist

Black {censored}

Red Shield

Fister

Crankbait

Mainland Divide

I will say, for not knowing of many of this bands, almost ALL of them kicked ass. CT from Rwake put the show together and that guy is just doing a great job for the southern/stoner/doom metal community (he just finished a documentary called "Slow Southern Steel" that's all about southern metal. Definitely worth checking out).

Pallbearer stole the show. Being on good lab grown shrooms and front and center during that show was something like a religious experience. I usually take note of the gear each band's using, what's working, what's not. I was totally engulfed in the music this time around and enjoyed each performance like a fan and completely forgot to look at what everyone was using. EXCEPT: I believe Thorlock's guitarist was using a Sunn Beta Lead, and it's the second time I've heard one live and said "I'm buying one of those ASAP".

There were only one or two bands that didn't do it for me, and it was merely from a stylistic approach.

The bands that really surprised me (aside from Pallbearer), were:

Deadbird (I know their music well, but DAMN they sound good live)

Laser Flames and the Great Big News- Female fronted, stylistically everything from Zeppelin to Black Metal. She can wail, sing, scream *cue "Dream Weaver" scene*. Most of the vocals were harmonized, I believe the bassist from Rwake was on guitar and vox also.

Dakhma One of the three bands one of the guitarists from Deadbird played in during the fest, they were amazing and heavy as hell.

Crankbait Two bassists, no guitars, a synth, and heavy as {censored}.

Red Shield Good friends of mine, just came out with their first EP, definitely worth checking out.

Tyrannosorceress Black/Doom/Prog metal, and very well executed. I don't think they even had merch, lol. From Dallas. Hopefully they can get some label support and get some songs out there.

Sound of the Mountain Reminded me a lot of Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Spare clean high register male vocals, the main harmonies were done by a female cellist using a delay. Lots of emotional peaks and valleys and just great to see live.

WELP, that's all I can remember. I'm still recovering :lol: Just remember, they'll be doing it again next Labor Day weekend and I know we'll all be there. I'm sure it'll be bigger and better!

• Members

Also, I will definitely be in Austin on Nov 2,3,4 for Fun Fun Fun Fest with my crew at the metal stage for anyone that wants to meet up and see how us cajun folks party. FFFest is ALWAYS a good time. Hope to see some of you there!!

Get me in, bro.

Also, the Sunn Beta Lead {censored}ing destroys. I'm with Ovid; heard one in person through two vintage Orange 4x12s... {censored}ing crushing. That's the rig I hear in my head. I need to get some money together to either snatch up a couple, or plunk down the R&D on a quality clone. Hey, knucklefux...

• Members

Did anybody have Emperor cabs?

Sound of the Mountain sounds like it would have been awesome.

Yeah, Red Shield and one or two others had Emperor cabs. Not sure what they were loaded with but damn those things look good.

Brendan, definitely!

The guy using the Beta Lead was going through a regular Marshall 1960a type cab (2) with the Celestion 75s. It's making me wonder if that's the cab route to take with that amp.

Archived