Ordered some cheap pickups to try out...

colejustesen

• Members

I have tried two sets of Entwistle pickups and had pretty good results. The one set [Dark Star] sounded damn good, while the other set [X3] weren't quite for me. I like the pickups in the guitar I will be putting these in, but I couldn't help myself at $33 shipped for the set...

I believe these are made by Artec out of South Korea, but the design by Alan Entwistle seems legitimate. Anyway, I ordered a set of his Nemesis pickups... They remind me a lot of a certain DiMarzio design. Whether or not they sound anything like them, I have no idea, but the DC resistance for the bridge pickup is right about what I like (12.5K). They also use a ceramic magnet, which none of my five electric guitars have...

Has anyone tried these particular pickups out?

This is what they look like:

NEMESISmedium.png
Entwistle Nemesis

EDIT: Here is a quick clip of them in action...
http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=13734

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundgardener75 View Post
I see them praised at the Filipino gear forum I go to.
I have tried reading some of those forums after they have been translated for me... It makes it hard to decipher sometimes...

That is good to hear though, I sometimes have a fear of buying cheap pickups because "you get what you pay for." I think they look pretty cool, though I could do without one of the screened on labels... Maybe the "Nemesis" will get rubbed off...

Thanks for giving your input!

Cole

• Members

I've bounced an HDN set round a few guitars. They're unusually responsive to different instruments. At least, the HDNs are. They are quite excellent pickups IMO.

They're one of those cases where if they charged more people would think better of them. I prefer the HDNs to most bareknuckles I've used (and I've used a lot), and my three top guitars are currently HDN set, 81/60, C-Bomb, 2xtrilogy.

I dont have any high gain clips of them, but these are some cleans. Bear in mind, these pickups are easily as hot as the 81-60 combo. No ITB treatment in them. Guitar was an SLSMG (which they dont do that well in, actually), tuning C#.

Neck
http://soundcloud.com/mdv/my-blood-entwistle-edit-hdn-1
Bridge
http://soundcloud.com/mdv/my-blood-entwistle-edit-hdn

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DVaz View Post
I've bounced an HDN set round a few guitars. They're unusually responsive to different instruments. At least, the HDNs are. They are quite excellent pickups IMO.

They're one of those cases where if they charged more people would think better of them. I prefer the HDNs to most bareknuckles I've used (and I've used a lot), and my three top guitars are currently HDN set, 81/60, C-Bomb, 2xtrilogy.

I dont have any high gain clips of them, but these are some cleans. Bear in mind, these pickups are easily as hot as the 81-60 combo. No ITB treatment in them. Guitar was an SLSMG (which they dont do that well in, actually), tuning C#.

Neck
http://soundcloud.com/mdv/my-blood-entwistle-edit-hdn-1
Bridge
http://soundcloud.com/mdv/my-blood-entwistle-edit-hdn
I can tell that those sound really clear. I was also glad to hear that you like them compared to the spendy boutique pickups.

Thanks for the clips!

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen View Post
I can tell that those sound really clear. I was also glad to hear that you like them compared to the spendy boutique pickups.

Thanks for the clips!

Cole
No bother.

They are, very much so. The reason that I didnt think they did as well as they can in the SLSMG was because its a quite dark guitar, and since C# is the highest I play, I need clear. Under high gain, they are very crisp, very tight. A mate once commented that 'they're almost too tight'. Said mate is also a huge fear factor/dino fan, so do the maths on that smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Spaced Out Ace View Post
I'm not sure, but I *think* Artec or whatever they are called make them, the same company who makes them for GFS and the like. Could be wrong, but if I'm not, they should be decent pickups.
Artec does make them... the sets I had in the past were decently built, though they weren't up to part with other imports I have tried (i.e. Tonerider) or the majority of USA made pickups... I am not too concerned, the others I had held up just fine.

What I like about his stuff is that he designed then to sound exceptionally good when split... I won't be doing that to these, but the others I tried sounded good split.

Cole

• Members

pickups do not cost much to make, so for companies to only charge a few bucks for a pickup that was made with in a country where the workers make Pennies a day, then that's not too crazy. But, even if these are all wound and made by machines, I get the feeling there isn't much in terms of quality control.. So, I could imagine some real {censored}ty pickups going out, but who knows, there definitely is a chance they sound good.. And if they are basically designs stolen from other pickup makers, then it sure can be a good pickup.. Cause all the testing and trial and error that went into making that Dimarzio or Duncan has been skipped, which is why those companies charge what they do, as well as the fact they are made in the US where they have to pay their employees a decent wage, and there aren't actual monkeys running around the factory..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by HELSTRUME View Post
What do the darkstar and X3 sound like?
It has been quite a while since I have tried them... I remember the bridge of the Dark Star really standing out when pushing distortion. It wasn't mushy and sounded like an appropriate distortion style pickup. What I remember the most is how much I liked the Dark Star neck when it was being played clean and with some distortion for leads. I was actually really surprised at how well it performed! They also sounded good when I had both engaged for cleaner rhythm tones... All in all, I liked the tones I was getting.

I miss typed up top, I tried the X2 set, and they weren't as good sounding as the Dark Star set. They weren't anything special, but they were better sounding than the GFS stuff I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by ENdtime View Post
pickups do not cost much to make, so for companies to only charge a few bucks for a pickup that was made with in a country where the workers make Pennies a day, then that's not too crazy. But, even if these are all wound and made by machines, I get the feeling there isn't much in terms of quality control.. So, I could imagine some real shitty pickups going out, but who knows, there definitely is a chance they sound good.. And if they are basically designs stolen from other pickup makers, then it sure can be a good pickup.. Cause all the testing and trial and error that went into making that Dimarzio or Duncan has been skipped, which is why those companies charge what they do, as well as the fact they are made in the US where they have to pay their employees a decent wage, and there aren't actual monkeys running around the factory..
This is a good point...

Quote Originally Posted by DARKMETL/ View Post
I have a set, decent stuff, don't regret the $30 or so:

100_3155.jpg
That is a nice looking guitar! Who made it? What woods were used? Can you give some more insight on the Nemesis set?

Thanks for sharing the picture!!!

Quote Originally Posted by soundgardener75 View Post
Ooooooh, nice guitar! You have any clips and vids of you using this? love.gif
I second this thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Hellaboogie View Post
Thanks for sharing, I'm going to try one out.
You will have to let me know what you think...

Cole

• Members
It has been quite a while since I have tried them... I remember the bridge of the Dark Star really standing out when pushing distortion. It wasn't mushy and sounded like an appropriate distortion style pickup. What I remember the most is how much I liked the Dark Star neck when it was being played clean and with some distortion for leads. I was actually really surprised at how well it performed! They also sounded good when I had both engaged for cleaner rhythm tones... All in all, I liked the tones I was getting.

I miss typed up top, I tried the X2 set, and they weren't as good sounding as the Dark Star set. They weren't anything special, but they were better sounding than the GFS stuff I tried.

This is a good point...

That is a nice looking guitar! Who made it? What woods were used? Can you give some more insight on the Nemesis set?

Thanks for sharing the picture!!!

I second this thumb.gif

You will have to let me know what you think...

Cole
I don't know much about the axe, it is Chinese made by a company called Deltone which are pretty hard to find as far as I know. No clue on the woods, looks like it is a burled veneer on top. It actually is a nice guitar for $200, maybe even better than the standard cheap chinese guitar. I need to get it coil tapped someday. It's been awhile since I have heard the pickups and I really haven't let it rip through the good rigs yet, plus I am lousy at describing the characteristics of pickups frown.gif

100_1674.jpg

100_1715.jpg

100_1665.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So I got those pickups today and got them installed in my Yamaha guitar. I think they look pretty damn good with the guitar's aesthetics!

20121010_180724.jpg
20121010_180717.jpg
20121010_180735.jpg
20121010_180744.jpg

I haven't got to mess with them much as I am waiting for the strings to stabilize [i put on a new set] so that I can intonate. I also installed a Goldo Black Box trem stopper which will help enormously when the intonation comes!

From what I have gathered, the bridge pickup is tight! It has a bigger low end, but it suits the E Flat tuning much more than the stock AlNiCo pickups... I need to mess around with the height a bit to see if I can find that sweet spot. The neck version is a bit boomy, but at the same time the ceramic magnet has plenty of attack that it cuts at the same time. I also need to mess around with the height on this one some more too, as well as the adjustable poles.

Overall for the $33 is cost me I think I got a pretty decent set of pickups. They are a marked improvement over the stock pickups!

Cole

• Members
So I got those pickups today and got them installed in my Yamaha guitar. I think they look pretty damn good with the guitar's aesthetics!

20121010_180724.jpg
20121010_180717.jpg
20121010_180735.jpg
20121010_180744.jpg

I haven't got to mess with them much as I am waiting for the strings to stabilize [i put on a new set] so that I can intonate. I also installed a Goldo Black Box trem stopper which will help enormously when the intonation comes!

From what I have gathered, the bridge pickup is tight! It has a bigger low end, but it suits the E Flat tuning much more than the stock AlNiCo pickups... I need to mess around with the height a bit to see if I can find that sweet spot. The neck version is a bit boomy, but at the same time the ceramic magnet has plenty of attack that it cuts at the same time. I also need to mess around with the height on this one some more too, as well as the adjustable poles.

Overall for the $33 is cost me I think I got a pretty decent set of pickups. They are a marked improvement over the stock pickups!

Cole
Where did you order pups from

Archived