Anybody re-tube EVH 5153 mini?

tonesnob

• Members

Got mine yesterday, and it's a beast! I love my mini Recto, but this thing is has way more bottom end, and more focused..

However, as much as I like JJ's, I would never use them in EVERY preamp position. The amp certainly has some compression going on, and I'm thinking some 5751's, 12AT7's, might really tame it. Though high gain, I may try a Tungsol in V1. I think the JJ's tend to get flabby, with too many..

Anybody have similar thoughts?

• Members

I know that has more watts and its a 6l6, really more bottom kind of hard to believe. I played the evh but not cranked it was kinda thin. Retube that mesa asap, gain at to 2 or tad above in modern:0 keep the loop engaged

I retubed the Mesa with JJ EL84's, and a host of other tubes. I run a 10-Bnd MXR in the loop as well, and the EVH has way more thump, without the EQ. I love the Mesa, don't get me wrong, but the EVH is pretty thunderous. THIN? I think not.

• Members

So far I've placed a Tungsol 12ax7 in V1 and an old Phillips ECG in V5 (V5 is preamp slot #2 for channel 2). I tried some of the lower gain tubes in V3 and V5, but it took too much gain and balls away at band levels.

I do like JJs, but like you've said, in all spots they can become "boomy". However, I personally have found JJs stand up better than a lot of other preamp tubes in cascading gain stages, IME. YMMV. The Tungsol does well in V1, though.

Actually, I would love some suggestions myself, for pre's that survive well in cascading gain stages. I've heard that the Ruby HGs are pretty good, but no experience yet. Hope this helps!

Archived