NP&HD!

colejustesen

• Members

After trying out some Entwistle pickups, I found that I wasn't fond of the tone I was getting from my neck pickup [as it was too boomy]. So I decided to try another set of pickups that I found on eBay. I bought a set from the seller Magicdragononline that looked similar in aesthetics to EMG humbuckers. They were advertised as being versatile, so I thought why not.

They are Alnico V based pickups and have a low DC resistance. When I received them, I found that the stock humbucker rings [transparent orange] were too small inside to let the humbuckers to fit. I decided to order a set of chrome rings from Stew-Mac to use with them.

This was the outcome:

20121023_111538.jpg
20121023_111635.jpg
20121023_111552.jpg

and for reference, this is what it looked like stock:

20120927_160345.jpg

As far as the tone goes, I really like what I am hearing. They run around 8.1K for the DC resistance and they are noticeably brighter than the stock and Entwistle pickups I had previously. They sound like the typical low output PAF style humbucker, which totally fits this guitars tone.

It makes me wonder how the guy's other pickups and parts are.

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen View Post
I wish I got more biggrin.gif

It doesn't seem like any more than some other forum members here...

Cole
icon_lol.gif
It just seems like you and one or two others get new gear once a week or more.
Or maybe Im just jealous cuz I havent gotten any in 2 months redface.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
icon_lol.gif
It just seems like you and one or two others get new gear once a week or more.
Or maybe Im just jealous cuz I havent gotten any in 2 months redface.gif
I don't get new gear that much, but I would say maybe once or twice a month... It also helps when the stuff I get isn't super expensive... The pickups I installed were $35, and the chrome rings were $8 a piece...

I am looking at a used guitar that is going to cost me $125 if I decide to buy it [it also comes with a hardshell case]. It is easy to have new gear days when things cost that little thumb.gif

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact View Post
That guitar is so sexay. The trem looks so sleek love.gif
The trem is the bomb! I never have to worry about raising or lowering the saddles, as the base plate is bent to conform to the neck radius. I never have to worry about any height adjustment screws digging into the palm of my hand thumb.gif

Do you think the chrome rings work? I was originally looking for a brushed aluminum humbucker ring, however the only place I could find them was charging over $20 per ring and then shipping costs... Right now that was more than I wanted to spend, but I would love to get one [brushed black] for my Pacifica someday.

Cole

• Members
Thank you sir! I really liked the transparent orange rings, but the chrome rings actually look pretty damn good against that flame top...

Thanks for chiming in wave.gif

Cole
The Orange rings were kinda cool cuz they are different, but sorta like a toy, too. I prefer the chrome rings myself. Hope your sweat doesn't tarnish the finish, though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Spaced Out Ace View Post
The Orange rings were kinda cool cuz they are different, but sorta like a toy, too. I prefer the chrome rings myself. Hope your sweat doesn't tarnish the finish, though.
I hope not either... though they are cheap enough to replace... They are solid metal with chrome plating, so I imagine they will hold up as much as other chrome plated hardware idn_smilie.gif

Cole

• Members
I hope not either... though they are cheap enough to replace... They are solid metal with chrome plating, so I imagine they will hold up as much as other chrome plated hardware idn_smilie.gif

Cole
That's good. I had some, I guess, chrome plated plastic ones on an Ibanez I hated and they eventually tarnished. Did I mention I hated that guitar?

• Members
That's good. I had some, I guess, chrome plated plastic ones on an Ibanez I hated and they eventually tarnished. Did I mention I hated that guitar?
I definitely didn't want the plastic chrome rings... I have seen those when the paint chips away freak.gif These are stout rings; actually I was surprised at their weight.

Cole

• Members
I definitely didn't want the plastic chrome rings... I have seen those when the paint chips away freak.gif These are stout rings; actually I was surprised at their weight.

Cole
Ah, that's good. thumb.gif

And off topic, I just saw an A&W commercial advertising a BOGO Papa Burger, and saying "Bring a friend or your hunger" or some {censored} like that. Yeah, that oughta help the whole "obesity" problem in America. I'm all for free food and deals and whatnot, but telling people, "Sure, eat both" is irresponsible.

• Members
Ah, that's good. thumb.gif

And off topic, I just saw an A&W commercial advertising a BOGO Papa Burger, and saying "Bring a friend or your hunger" or some {censored} like that. Yeah, that oughta help the whole "obesity" problem in America. I'm all for free food and deals and whatnot, but telling people, "Sure, eat both" is irresponsible.
I can't deny a good hamburger... That is why I don't eat at A&W icon_lol.gif

That being said, I agree with you...

Cole

• Members
I can't deny a good hamburger... That is why I don't eat at A&W icon_lol.gif

That being said, I agree with you...

Cole
Eh, I think they are actually pretty good, but that might just be here. I've had McDonald's in other cities than the one I live, and they were usually 50x better.

• Members
Eh, I think they are actually pretty good, but that might just be here. I've had McDonald's in other cities than the one I live, and they were usually 50x better.
Could be, but I have other burger joints around me that taste so much better... As far as chains go, I really like Carl's Jr. Otherwise, I usually get local ma & pa burgers.

Cole

• Members
Could be, but I have other burger joints around me that taste so much better... As far as chains go, I really like Carl's Jr. Otherwise, I usually get local ma & pa burgers.

Cole
Ew, isn't Carl's Jr. the place that has the anorexic bitches eat their nasty looking burgers? No thanks. tongue.gifuke:

As for local ma n pa shops, we have a Zippy's I believe it's called in Tri Cities that is amazing and a King's Row in Selah that is so damn good.

Archived