anyone played a PRS starla? trade opinons please

sleewell

• Members

looking at doing a trade for my 60s tribute LP studio for a PRS starla. the bigsby has been removed and replaced with a stop tail piece. its white with a black pickguard, looks pretty cool.

the local shops dont have them so i cant go play one first. anyone have any experience with these?

i plan to get either a LPC or standard around tax time so i wouldnt be without a LP for very long. it just looks like a cool guitar plus ive always wanted a PRS (non se), and i just dont love the studio.

for the dudes on the fb group i decided not to trade for the mustang from last week.

thanks for the input,

bill

• Members

I'm interested to hear any feed back on this guitar too. I've been considering it as an LP type alternative. I had a Mira and it was a {censored}ing great guitar. Sounded great and played great. It nosed dived at the neck when I played standing up and that's what made me sell it. It was annoying but the guitar was awesome. I think the Starla's have a 24.5" scale length neck. I'm interested what the pickups are like.

• Members

I played one in a store. I was a little underwhelmed. It wasn't bad, but nothing to get excited about. Didn't feel quite as refined as a typical PRS. The thing that really stood out was how really light it was. Probably not much more than 6 pounds.

• Members

thanks for the input guys!! keep em coming.

(i am doing the trade but am still curious about it)

I like hearing its like an SG, that sounds cool. I dont usually like real light guitars but longer sessions with the agile are starting to hurt my shoulder and back (god i am getting old).

I will post a review with some clips when I get it!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF

View Post

I play an SG and it didn't feel all that similar to me. They're both fairly small and light, but I think because the Starla is so light, it felt kind of like a toy to me.

I've played a few Starlas. Two were mahogany and those played and felt similar to an SG. I played one that was obeche (basswood) and that was very light and felt different. Maybe that's the one you played.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JonVengeance

View Post

I've played a few Starlas. Two were mahogany and those played and felt similar to an SG. I played one that was obeche (basswood) and that was very light and felt different. Maybe that's the one you played.

Could be, looked like mahogany, but I'm not sure.

Archived