anyone line their own mic cases? what foam?

grantlack

• Members

well?

i've tried to get in contact with several vendors (shure, among others) to get the details out of them on what type of foam they use, but apparently everybody outsources their case construction to some covert foam impresario. who knew this info would be so top secret? anyhow, i need foam that

a) cuts cleanly

b) comes in large sheets (16x21)

c) isn't going to cost me $60 like what i've found so far

d) WORKS!

as a point of reference- i'm building a portable recording rack, getting one of the gator cage lids for the front of my case, and lining it w/ foam for mic storage. (philosophy being that one slightly bigger thing to carry > one big thing + one moderately sized thing)

• Members

Could you use "memory foam"? then you don't really need to cut it. It'll eventually permanently deform to the shape of the microphone.

I wonder with any foam whether you could soak it then freeze it, then drill it with a hole saw or hacksaw.

I'd also expect that closed-cell foam (esp. polyethylene from the above source) would be easier to saw or cut than open-cell foam. Of course anti-static foam would be a good idea if you're carrying wireless or other electronic gear in there.

• Members

I'd also expect that closed-cell foam (esp. polyethylene from the above source) would be easier to saw or cut than open-cell foam. Of course anti-static foam would be a good idea if you're carrying wireless or other electronic gear in there.

closed cell is also a concern of mine for possible heat dissipation issues. the stuff lining most mic cases that i've found is a fairly rigid open cell, so i figure if it works for them it works for me. i thought about the anti-static, but they don't offer it in the more rigid formulation. plus, who wants a pink mic case!

Archived