Rewiring Strat for Master Volume, Master Tone, Bridge Volume

blueduck577

• Members

I've been thinking about adding a bridge-on switch in my strat to enable the use of the bridge and neck pickups in combination, but after some thought, I've got an idea:

I barely ever use the tone knobs to begin with. How easy would it be to rewire the strat so the neck tone knob becomes a master tone knob, and then the other tone knob becomes a volume for the bridge?

Basically, what I'm trying to accomplish is with the pickup selector in the bridge position, the bridge pickup is at full volume, controlled by the master. In any other position, I want to 'dial in' the blend of the bridge pickup, and the combination between it and whatever other pickup is controlled by the master volume.

For example, if I had the master volume at 10, the old tone knob at 5, and the bridge pickup selected, I'd get full bridge pickup volume. However, if I set the pickup selector to, lets say the neck, I'd have neck volume at 10 blended in with the bridge pickup at 5.

I'm sure this is possible, and I could probably figure it out myself, but I was wondering if any of you guys have done anything similar before I rip my guitar apart.

• Members

I've been thinking about adding a bridge-on switch in my strat to enable the use of the bridge and neck pickups in combination, but after some thought, I've got an idea:

I barely ever use the tone knobs to begin with. How easy would it be to rewire the strat so the neck tone knob becomes a master tone knob, and then the other tone knob becomes a volume for the bridge?

Basically, what I'm trying to accomplish is with the pickup selector in the bridge position, the bridge pickup is at full volume, controlled by the master. In any other position, I want to 'dial in' the blend of the bridge pickup, and the combination between it and whatever other pickup is controlled by the master volume.

For example, if I had the master volume at 10, the old tone knob at 5, and the bridge pickup selected, I'd get full bridge pickup volume. However, if I set the pickup selector to, lets say the neck, I'd have neck volume at 10 blended in with the bridge pickup at 5.

I'm sure this is possible, and I could probably figure it out myself, but I was wondering if any of you guys have done anything similar before I rip my guitar apart.

a mod i used to do was to disconnect the middle p.u. from the switch and connect it to the "neck tone pot" used as a vol. the 5-way switch will then be like a L.P. = position 1, bridge; pos 2,3,4, neck and bridge together; pos 5 neck. you can blend in the middle pu with any other position. gives you all seven combinations and no parts cost. the "middle tone pot" can now serve as a master tone. the middle pu/vol pot is a completely separate system that can be blended in. there must be a wiring diagram somewhere on the web for this.

• Members

that's sort of what I'm going for, but I don't want the bridge pickup to be it's on system. optimally, it would work as its own system unless the pickup selector was at the bridge position, where bridge pickup's volume would be controlled by the master knob, not by the bridge volume knob. elsewhere on the pickup selector switch, it could be blended in as if it were a separate system.

edit:

would this work?

original wiring schematic:

stratwiringstockwt0.gif

modifications (in red)

stratwiringid8.gif

Archived